Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

XC47 Inland M1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GFIX97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XC47 Inland M1
    Posted: Feb 14 2020 at 9:47pm
Hello everyone. This is my first discussion post on the forum. Last October I happened across this M1 at an estate sale and after looking a little closer decided to jump on it. The rifle is an October 1944 Inland with the serial number XC47. I've heard these rifles referred to as tool room rifles and presentation rifles. Any information would be appreciated. I am currently working on completing at least to the best of my ability a data sheet. Everything appears to be inland and proper for the time frame. I took the rifle for a walk at the Michigan antique arms gun show and made quite a splash so I figured before I rashly accepted a decently high offer (at least in the M1 realm) I should learn a little more. If it was presented I would also if possible like to figure out who it was presented to.

Edited by GFIX97 - Feb 15 2020 at 10:18am
Regards,
GF97
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2020 at 5:38am
Your serial appears to be XG47. Not sure if that was a typo but since it was written multiple times I figured I would address it. I thought many of the XG’s were M2 carbines. Does yours have an M1 on the front ring of the receiver?
GFIX97 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GFIX97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2020 at 10:19am
Sorry about that. That photo was weird I just replaced it with a clearer shot. Not sure if it was a shadow or what but it's definitely XC. It is marked M1
Regards,
GF97
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2020 at 12:37pm
Yep, I can see it now when I zoom in. Old eyes, I guess. Looks very nice!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 3:31pm
 Presented to Edward F. Fisher of the Fisher body division at  general motors.
Edward along with his brothers upon selling part of Fisher Body to GM took those funds and built the Fisher Building in Detroit.

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 9:46pm
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2020 at 9:58pm
Checkout who some of Edward Fishers neighbors were..... Henry Ford, Ty Cobb, Joe Louis to name a few.

In the late 20's Edward built a 269 room mansion on 2500 acres for his wife without her knowing. She didn't like being in the country and never moved in and it was never lived in. Years later Ford bought it. It became Ford Motor Co Proving grounds.
See reply #6 in the link below....

Charlie-P777

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2020 at 6:55am
Fascinating history and good reading. Note to self, check with the wife prior to building a mansion ;)
Good score on the rifle OP! It would be interesting to know how it got from Edward to your estate sale.
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2020 at 8:45am
GF,
Were there any accessories with this carbine such as a box or a display stand or paper?  XC-42 Was mentioned here recently as being for sale on Gunbroker.
...........Arthur
GFIX97 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GFIX97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2020 at 1:40pm
Arthur,

Sadly no accessories outside of what you see on it. No box or any papers. The man who had it was a hoarder and I would assume if anything was there it was pitched in the cleanup process. The rifle was just out in the open when I found it. I am hoping to possibly contact the Fishers and see if they have any photos or documentation related to it. Interestingly enough my dad knows the guy that maintains the elevator in the Fisher building so hopefully that can be a way to find some more material to back it up.
Regards,
GF97
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 12:59pm
Awesome carbine! I was at the last Antique Arms, too bad I missed you. I would have loved to see that thing in person. Such cool history tied to it!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2021 at 11:54pm
Noticed today is GFIX97's Birthday.

Any word from Garet aka GFIX97 since this post ?
I often look at the Special Edition SE page 4 and think of Phillip Taylor the owner of XC 48 and XC 49.
I don't know Phillip but from seeing him take 5th place at the Bhama competition in 2006.

Garet didn't / doesn't (?) live far from me, maybe 40 minutes. From our talks he was planning to sell, just wanted to get a idea of value first. That's why I sent him this way.

Did anyone here buy XC-47 ?

Having XC- 47, 48, and 40 to me would have been a Fairy tale ending.
Anyone happen to know who was presented XC 48 and XC 49 ?

Thx,
Charlie-P777
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2021 at 12:15pm
I sent Garet  some info on Fisher. I have no idea if he flipped the carbine as he mentioned in the first post.

Phil passed away in 2019

I hope the presentations he had went to a good home.

I have an Inland presentation. The next serial number came up at auction and I thought how fantastic it would have been to have consecutive numbers. I am so glad I asked for more pictures.

It is expected that presentation carbines could have transferred or borrowed parts. The non Inland HG did not surprise me till  I saw the rear of the barrel was drilled for a sight. these would have had to had the HG cut. not a deal breaker*
The deal breaker was the crossed cannon cartouche which did not belong on that carbine.

Here is the thing with that presentation, it was given to someone at Hemphill. Did they possibly have something to do with the rear sight. Could it have been that the presentee drilled the barrel in attempt to improve accuracy?
This is something that is a part of the carbines history and should have been left alone

If a sight was added to the rear of the barrel the production rear sight on the receiver would have to be removed, so I question the sight which now sits on it.

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2021 at 2:09pm
I didn't know about Mr Taylors passing.
Quite a life he led and contribution to this country.
I wish his family the best.

Thank You Dan,

Ch-P777
 Post Reply Post Reply