Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTB Original Flip Sight for Standard Products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB Original Flip Sight for Standard Products
    Posted: Jun 11 2021 at 10:51pm

My new to me Standard Products has a post war JAO adjustable sight that I would like to replace.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards...
Taraw1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taraw1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 12:48am
Std Pro used L flip sight until 217xxxx range, then mixed with H in shield milled sights thru end of manufacture.
     The L sights can be square S marked, S marked, Early, then NA marked mixed in about Nov. 43.
      If your JAO was staked heavily on receiver might as well leave it.
I really like carbines
81NavyOS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Taraw1943 Taraw1943 wrote:

Std Pro used L flip sight until 217xxxx range, then mixed with H in shield milled sights thru end of manufacture.
     The L sights can be square S marked, S marked, Early, then NA marked mixed in about Nov. 43.
      If your JAO was staked heavily on receiver might as well leave it.

I didn't know about the transition to the milled sight, thank you.  I have a 222xxxx serial, so it could go either way I guess.

I had the information on the L sight, but thanks for the at-hand input.

I also don't know what anyone would consider "staked heavily".  When the rifle finally made its way to me, the rear sight was pushed way to the right, almost completely hiding the right side of the serial number, and almost off the receiver.  So, I would consider the staking near useless.

Is there a reputable place to FIND one of the properly marked L sights?? I know that we are suppose to avoid the "Riverbank" place like the plague.  Based on your information, I was able to find a properly marked milled sight from a place called "Amherst Military Depot".  Are they worth dealing with??

I am trying to find out as much as I can with reference to who to trust,and who to avoid.

Thanks again for your help.
Taraw1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taraw1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 10:29am
If your receiver has the small "Chisel Stake" marks on right side of dovetail then a Flip type is good.  If Not then   Find a Nice H in shield milled adjustable and center it in dovetail.  Have bought from Amherst, no idea on there flip sights though.
I really like carbines
81NavyOS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Taraw1943 Taraw1943 wrote:

If your receiver has the small "Chisel Stake" marks on right side of dovetail then a Flip type is good.  If Not then   Find a Nice H in shield milled adjustable and center it in dovetail.  Have bought from Amherst, no idea on there flip sights though.

OK, there are stake marks on the left side of the dovetail as well as the right, so I guess that means that it is heavily staked.

So in your more learned opinion, I would be better served to get the milled adjustable and replace the JAO with that?

Thanks for the continued help

Taraw1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Taraw1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 10:39am
yes.  Amherst only has Adjustable sights listed on web sight.  they do have the H in shield for a fair price
I really like carbines
81NavyOS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 10:46am
Yep, I was looking at the Amherst milled sight, I guess that is the way to go.

Looks like I will have "one" of the problems with this rifle fixed.....on to the next one.

Thank you very much for the help, I really appreciate it.  I hate thinking I waited all these years to get my first carbine (had my Garand FOREVER), only to get slightly screwed.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 11:49am
A quick look Amherst does have some reproduction parts.  I have never seen a reproduction H in shield rear sight and there are plenty out there. I would think a WTB on the forums might yield a better price.

As to the staking markings, are they the chisel type, punch marks, or both. I picture may tell a better story.
81NavyOS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

A quick look Amherst does have some reproduction parts.  I have never seen a reproduction H in shield rear sight and there are plenty out there. I would think a WTB on the forums might yield a better price.

As to the staking markings, are they the chisel type, punch marks, or both. I picture may tell a better story.

Looking at their site, they specifically point out which are reproductions or are "new" USGI...I would like to take their word...and I need to trust some people at some point.

The stake markings are both chisel type.  I know it is probably impossible to tell over time, they look nearly identical....like same tool at nearly the same time.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 11:59am
 for clarity, are you saying two chisel type markings with no punch type markings?

81NavyOS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 12:05pm

for clarity, are you saying two chisel type markings with no punch type markings?

Yes, both chisel type, v stake marks.  I seen NO round punch types.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 12:08pm
You need to post a picture of the staking. And heavy staking doesn't mean location. Any round crater staking is suspect. There are exceptions. Chisel staking sounds promising. There is sometimes flip style staking on both sides, or even the left side of the sight only. Usually not, though.

Amherst will sell real and reproduction. Their evaluation is only as good as the knowledge of the person making it. There is no place I know of to get what you're looking for with consistency.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
81NavyOS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

You need to post a picture of the staking. And heavy staking doesn't mean location. Any round crater staking is suspect. There are exceptions. Chisel staking sounds promising. There is sometimes flip style staking on both sides, or even the left side of the sight only. Usually not, though.

Amherst will sell real and reproduction. Their evaluation is only as good as the knowledge of the person making it. There is no place I know of to get what you're looking for with consistency.

Well, the longer I look, and under a very bright light...the left stake is v-ish shaped, and the right stake looks like a v with a punch over it....

As I said earlier... get the feeling I was more than slightly screwed with this purchase.  But, live and learn I guess.
81NavyOS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 12:14pm
I'll do what I can do fix what I can...and just live with it.  Try not to dwell.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 12:16pm
I was under the impression that by Vietnam the US was using the nylon sling?

Interesting keeper
81NavyOS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81NavyOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 12:24pm

I was under the impression that by Vietnam the US was using the nylon sling?

Interesting keeper

From the reading that I have undertaken, I was under the impression it was a mixed bag like everything else.

Even if that is USGI, I would still get a reproduction with the C end if I was looking to put a sling on it...at least it would LOOK period correct.

Post Reply Post Reply