Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wooden M1 carbine training rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wooden M1 carbine training rifle
    Posted: Apr 17 2022 at 12:18pm
The auction house advertised it as an M1 carbine "training" rifle, with only four photos in the listing. It was the C-tipped sling that caught my eye. I placed the minimum bid and with no other bidders, I won the carbine. The sling turned out to be in like new condition, olive drab, and un-marked. I believe the butt plate is late Winchester with two dots on the bottom row. The oiler is simply a length of wooden dowel painted grey. In the sling-cut the mark is a large letter J which I think makes it a replacement stock. There are no cartouches or other marks on the stock or grip. Notice in the photos that the stock has been cut its entire length, almost down to the GI barrel band spring, and that there is a 3/8" thick strip of wood sandwiched between it and the deep groove handguard. Metal parts beside the butt plate include the rear sight, the imitation type II barrel band swivel and a nut and bolt through the stock above the wooden trigger housing. There is no evidence of this toy ever having a trigger and all wooden parts are solidly glued together. Notice the magazine size difference in the last photo. This "training" rifle is now a wall hanger in my shop but would make a great conversation piece on any gun show table.
Who made this carbine and when? Any thoughts?

Dave
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2022 at 2:01pm
Jewell Bros. replacement stock. Very interesting piece. Looks a bit similar to the Mongomery Wards toy carbine pictured in the old thread below.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2022 at 10:25am
Does anyone have a wooden Garand trainer?
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Does anyone have a wooden Garand trainer?

New2brass,

I have not seen a wooden Garand trainer. (All wooden) However, this topic has a couple of facets to it.

I've not seen evidence of any of these toys being used as trainers. I have 2 of the toy M1 Carbine rifles, which have been previously discussed in a couple of different threads here. I also have one of the original Maguire Industries Thompson Submachine Gun toys, which have the distinction of being made as toys by the same company (Auto-Ordnance Division of Maguire Industries) that made the real submachine guns.

The M1 Garand had a training rifle that was adopted by the USMC. This was the H&R "Reising" Model 65 .22 caliber rifle, which has a similar weight, and the same sight picture as an M1 Garand. I own the original prototype of this rifle that was evaluated by the USMC, and had over 100,000 rounds fired through it between H&R and the USMC tests.

I'm not sure that was the answer you were looking for, but technically, I do own many wooden Garand trainers.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 5:52pm
David,
were the toy Parris Dunn M1903s marketed as trainers?
I am sure you know they were contracted to make trainers for the Navy. After the war they marketed the smaller version toy.

Other manufacturers marketed their toys using terms like drill rifle etc.
I am trying to located actual pics of the toy Garand that was marketed as one of those drill rifles.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2022 at 9:00am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

David,
were the toy Parris Dunn M1903s marketed as trainers?
I am sure you know they were contracted to make trainers for the Navy. After the war they marketed the smaller version toy.

Other manufacturers marketed their toys using terms like drill rifle etc.
I am trying to located actual pics of the toy Garand that was marketed as one of those drill rifles.

New2brass,

The Parris-Dunn M1903 style (Mark 1) wooden training rifles are unique in that they were produced as training rifles under government contract during WWII at the behest of the War Production Board. I have 3 of them in my collection. As far as I know, the Mark 1's were not marketed to civilians while being produced for the military due to the constraints of the WPB. That being said, thousands of them were marketed as surplus following the war. Parris-Dunn continued to produce toy rifles of many different designs after the war.

I have seen advertisements for toy Garands, but I'm not aware of a toy style Garand that was officially used as a trainer.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply