The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WOLF SPRINGS FOR UNIVERSAL M1 .30 DUAL SPRING

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamscotticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WOLF SPRINGS FOR UNIVERSAL M1 .30 DUAL SPRING
    Posted: May 31 2020 at 3:43pm
Hello Carbiners,

I have upgraded the action springs in a late model Universal M1 Carbine, with the bolt hold open toggle and scope side mount taps.

I want to share the findings.

First thing, I want to thank Wolf for getting my order fulfilled during the end of the Corona virus event (I assume there is someone left to read this).

Prior to installing, I did a spring tension test by hanging the assembly by the front sight and hanging a weight from the slide block, since it has a usable hole in the middle.  I made a loop of fishing line and hung a bag of tools underneath.  I attached a piece of masking tape along the side of the receiver to mark points of the slide to indicate the closed position, the hammer contact and the nominal points of the weighted action with the springs.  To avoid contact with the hammer, I had to adjust the tool bag weight to 4 pounds, which I measured with a digital luggage scale.

When I applied the 4 lb weight to the Universal springs, the slide settled at a nominal 1.25" of travel from fully closed.
When I applied the 4 lb weight to the Wolf springs, the slide settled at a nominal 0" of travel from fully closed.
In fact the Wolf has enough tension to fully close the bolt with a 4 lb weight hanging from it.

I then increased the weight on the Wolf springs to the same point of the Universal spring tension at 4 lbs and the weight measured a nominal 6.25 lbs at the same point the Universal measured 4 lbs indicating an improvement of about 2.5 lbs of tension at 1.25 inches of travel from closed.

If I had removed the lower, without the lower in the hammer in the way, I might have found much greater tension gains with the full travel.
I didn't think of that Ouch
Check out these pictures!

I'm not going to re-do this without the lower, I would have to re-install the Universal springs to compare.
Nope, those Wolf springs are tough to get in.  I had to put a spacer behind the spring rods to keep them from sliding back and use a screwdriver and finger nails to scotch the springs on.
I hope this has been helpful.

P.S.-full disclosure, I also got a Wolf hammer spring to replace the Universal, but when I dislodged the spring guide rod and dropped the spring, I had the Wolf spring there and mixed them up.  I couldn't tell the difference between the two.  So I just used the one I felt had more tension, It ws very close.  A good spring either way.

handy little rifle needs upgrades
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 4:01pm
I stock at least 1 Wolf Spring Carbine replacement kit all the time. My Carbines shoot well.
David Milisock
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 6:03pm
I repaired a troublesome Universal for a customer a couple months back,
weak springs were replaced with the Wolf recoil springs.

Fixed the operation, which was mainly erratic feeding or lack of feeding; not enough "spring"
to strip cartridges from the magazine.

The Wolf springs were a pain to get in place, one has to have strong fingers. Approve
Don
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 10:14pm
Nicely detailed report on Wolff springs with a good outcome. Thanks for the information. I have generally had good results with Wolff springs in many of my vintage firearms, but I haven't used them on my Carbines yet. 
 Post Reply Post Reply