Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WINCHESTER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WINCHESTER
    Posted: Aug 30 2016 at 9:32pm

FOR THE HUNDRETH TIME I HOPE THESE PICTURES POST. 
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2016 at 9:42pm
SORRY.  THE TEXT GOT LOST.  FOUND THIS ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO..   MAN TOOK FOR EVERY TO GET PICTURES TO POST
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2016 at 1:04am
That is a nice early Winchester you have there!!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2016 at 2:57pm
She is a beauty.
Is that 100100? Serial?
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2016 at 3:03pm
Wow, what a beautiful carbine. Congratulations Clap
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2016 at 5:45pm
Thank you.  No that's not a 1001 but it is a 1004 . I have more pics of parts but have to size and load. will try to do soon.  Have others that I would like to do also.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2016 at 7:25pm
Probably the best early Winchester I've seen posted, or at all.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2016 at 7:51pm
pic posting tips

If you want I can explain a way to type a text with links then copy it into post and all words and pics will show.

The picture editor has been wonky, the software manufacturer is working on it
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2016 at 5:15pm
I think I might have it figured out how to add and keep the text with pics.  If it turns  out I don't I will not hesitate to ask.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2016 at 1:24am
  I finally got to resizing the rest of my pics.  If anyone would like me to look at a certain area in case I overlooked something I would be happy to do so.  Thank you for taking your time to look.  I do not have a bolt tool so I will not attempt to take the bolt apart.  The sling is so tight that I could not get the oiler out far enough to take a good pic.  I could see that it is marked SW. My pictures do not do this rifle justice. 

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2016 at 7:42pm
It's a great Carbine and the pics are good too. The one negative I see is the rear sight. It's a reproduction. Perhaps some closer pics of the stock cartouche would be a good idea. Still, it's a nice Carbine.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2016 at 8:23pm
WENT TO THE ARMORY, CHOSE THE BAVARIAN ARMORY. CHOSE BAVARIAN BORDER POLICE WINCHESTER.
WAS LOOKING AT PICTURES AND NOTICED THAT IN THE SLING OPENING OF THE BAVARIAN CARBINE AND
THE SLING OPENING IN MY EARLY WINCHESTER BORE SIMILAR ROUTER MARKS.  I WILL TRY TO GET A BETTER PIC OF CARTOUCHE.  COULD YOU ELABORATE ON THE REAR SIGHT
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2016 at 8:31pm
Well for the rear sight, I can't add much more than that. It's what is referred to as one of the "high quality" reproductions.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2016 at 5:49pm
Thanks for you comment on the rear sight. I would rather have truth.  As you might imagine it is disappointing.  It would be nice to know what you see that makes it reproduction but also understand that so would the people who make the fake stuff.  A no win situation.  I have all the books that are discussed here but still not enough.  I have already decided to return the carbine to the seller.  Should not be a problem. Seems there is a person or persons also faking Garand certificates.  Wow.  I decided that the carbine world and the Garand world has good people in the know and predators.  Since I am not in the know and certainly not a predator I will just shoot  the one carbine that I have had for the last 40 years and hang on to my hard earned cash.  Again thanks for the heads up on the rear sight.
Wrdsmth View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wrdsmth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2016 at 9:33pm
It's a really nice rifle! Good photos too- thanks for the effort it took to take and post them.

Maybe you could post it for sale here? I'd rather see it represented properly and go to someone who doesn't care about a minor thing like a repro rear sight (or just wait and find an original one...they aren't too expensive) than have you return it to the seller and have someone else get disappointed down the road.

How does it shoot?
Writer, Hot Rodder, Racer, Life Enthusiast
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2016 at 10:45pm
Yeah, it really still is a nice Carbine and I hated to tell you about the sight. I wanted to see a real sight on a nice Carbine, but I know a person wants to know. I'd guess that you paid a premium for it too. You sound like you're well grounded about it, so then, if you were told all parts are USGI and the sight is not USGI (it positively is not), then you have a decision to make. There might be other things that aren't right about the Carbine, but maybe it was just the sight. That sight was made recently.

When this happens it's common for the seller to protest and state that the buyer is getting bad information, so maybe a couple of the other experienced people will chime in about the sight if the seller balks at a return. I don't go into detail on IDing parts online because I'm a buyer and need to keep some sort of edge to acquire value.

The manufacturers of these sights know what makes them identifiable. The active humpers know too. The casual buyer is the one who doesn't know and that's what those guys count on. I've heard that the repop sights sell new for about $140-$150, which is close to a real USGI cost. I've paid way less and quite a bit more for USGI Square S sights.
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2016 at 1:21pm
To bad this carbine was misrepresented to you . It is clearly a restoration with some reproduction parts . The flip sight as TenOCEE pointed out along with the Mag catch and im pretty sure the Hammer are repop . I also suspect the stock , I would love to see some pics of the stock with action out . If you look at the left side of receiver up near receiver ring there is a wear mark that is consistent with a receiver wrench .. ? Not an original carbine , But a decent restoration !!
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2016 at 6:32am
I never shot it.  I already returned the rifle. 

David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2016 at 6:50am
Did all the photos in this post get deleted? Can anyone else see them?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2016 at 7:21am
Looks like the pictures were deleted 1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>