Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

winchester receiver markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: winchester receiver markings
    Posted: May 21 2018 at 10:16pm
can anyone help me identify these marks?

bottom reciever right next to barrel

LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 10:42pm
I'm a newbie, so I can't answer the actual question. However, I can add a similar data point. I'm also interested too in what some gurus have to say on the matter.

I have what I'd consider similar marking on my earlier made spring tube WRA receiver in about the exact same place as yours. I can only guess as what letter, symbol, or number they are as the artifact mark doesn't seem to pressed evenly or deeply when it was originally done. To me it's two symbols for sure, and I'm guessing one's a "4", and one's a "D".

SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 10:54pm
Is a 'whitness' mark, your receiver should have one too, used for barrel alignment to the receiver.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 11:17pm
These are markings used by manufacturers for internal purposes known only to them. Possibly inspector's marks. Inland has the most well known referred to as "Inland Hieroglyphics" located on the flat of the barrel near the receiver.
JackP
markdam View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 12:05am
thanks!
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 2:50am
That didn't take long, thanks Jack!

I've seen pics of the Hieroglyphics on Inlands, those are wild. I bet one day somebody will uncover a document/s that says what some of these internal coding marks meant.
markdam View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 5:50pm

shot her today  not bad  25 yds both rested and off hand. 1st five shots ever in third pic. 
notice in the seated group i was adjusting sights to bring the poi to poa right to left ended up about 6 clicks

also havent shot in a while so out of practice and since eyes gotten worse lol  not bad for 75 years and 50 yr old eyes
markdam View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 6:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply