Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winchester M-1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b33b90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winchester M-1
    Posted: Jan 31 2019 at 2:21pm
I ended up with an M-1 my Dad got through the CMP long ago.  I haven't dissembled it yet but the 1322nnn serial appears to be late '42 on some lists.  No bayonet lug, short and taller peep rear sight, and WGA GHD stamp on the stock.  Understand many of these have been through rebuilds and part bins, what should I be looking for to learn more?  Sorry to crop so much to get under 500.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2019 at 3:02pm
Welcome to the forum. That is a good looking carbine, would love to see some more pictures. Click on the link below for rebuild info.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/postwar.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
old59porsche View Drop Down
On Point
On Point
RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old59porsche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2019 at 3:12pm
That appears to be a correct original gun. Don't let some yahhoo on a forum talk you into changing anything. It is a piece of history.

Retired Army Guy
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2019 at 4:34pm
Welcome to forums. If you click my signature it will bring you to a post on resizing pictures.
If you still have an issue PM me and I will provide an email to send pictures to and I will resize/crop and put in your folder to post.

Best, Dan
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2019 at 6:47pm
Welcome to the Carbine Collectors Forums from New Mexico!

It looks like you have a nice, early and original Winchester. Can't wait to see more pictures.    
JackP
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2019 at 6:53pm
You asked what to be looking for.  I suggest starting with field stripping it and note the markings on all the readily accessible parts.  I would leave the trigger group and bolt assembled until studying up.  What you can see will be a great start.  Looking forward to seeing what you have.  
b33b90 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b33b90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2019 at 8:52pm
Thanks all for the welcome, I will check on picture resizing.  What pictures have the most interest?  After my initial post I read the 1942 manual and now understand how to strip.  Used to the Garand (ROTC) and M-14 (Ft Dix 1965), I tried pulling on the trigger guard.  Oh well, RTFM.

What is the best distance for target shooting?  I know it filled the gap between the Garand and the M1911.
b33b90 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b33b90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2019 at 11:02pm
The 1958 ROTCM 145-30 states maximum effective range of 275 yards.  100 yards probably not a bad distance to start
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 10:08am
Welcome aboard!

That is a beautiful looking Winchester.  They are a lot of fun to own, work on and shoot.  I might recommend looking at these videos:

They helped me a lot when I was learning to field strip, inspect and clean my carbines.

I regularly shoot my Rock-Ola.  I shoot primarily from the 100 yard line.  I shoot both standing and prone.

Before you shoot, I would recommend you check the head spacing and visibly inspect your bolt/receiver for cracks.  There are several good posts on checking head space on this forum.

Good luck and have fun!
Semper Fi, Bruce
b33b90 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b33b90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 1:16pm
More pictures.
Shipping Box

Carbine

Left Side Trigger Group

Right Side Trigger Group

Stamp Bottom of Hand Guard

Stamp Bottom of Grip

Thanks for the video link, has to be better than the manual's old pictures.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 1:45pm
That is awesome that you still have the shipping box. I did not expect to see an Inland Trigger Housing.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 4:47pm
Oh I would be careful, the box states "Unserviceable " 

However, it also says safe to fire, suitable for sale.

Oh, how I would love to have a dozen of those ole unserviceable carbines.

Does anyone know why they are Unserviceable?

You must be a registered member and post a reply in this topic to view the hidden content within this post!

kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 10:33pm
Weren't they labeled that way so they could be sold. I think they also did not have all the latest updates
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2019 at 8:13am
One meaning of Unserviceable is that the spare parts to maintain a particular weapons platform, in this case the M1 carbine, no longer exist or are limited.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2019 at 9:04am
In one of the manuals I read, it states in effect,unserviceable is not necessarily unreparable, just not put back in service for the troops.
These weapons  where made available for sale to civilians, NRA, shooting clubs etc.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

gbehrman View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbehrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2019 at 5:11pm
Unserviceable in the context of the 50's and early 60's meant arsenal only did "safe to fire" check and sent the rifle to the buyer as it was received in the arsenal.  
They may have been missing some small parts.  All this was made clear in the American Rifleman at the time.  My father got me an unserviceable 03-A3 that was new.  Neighbor joined NRA so he could get one for my brother (one rifle per lifetime back then)  and it was slightly used.  They were $17.85 shipped to you by Railway Express.  
gbehrman
JimFhr View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFhr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2019 at 8:24am
Originally posted by gbehrman gbehrman wrote:

Unserviceable in the context of the 50's and early 60's meant arsenal only did "safe to fire" check and sent the rifle to the buyer as it was received in the arsenal.  
They may have been missing some small parts.  All this was made clear in the American Rifleman at the time.  My father got me an unserviceable 03-A3 that was new.  Neighbor joined NRA so he could get one for my brother (one rifle per lifetime back then)  and it was slightly used.  They were $17.85 shipped to you by Railway Express.  

Yup . .

My Dad also bought one . . .Unserviceable!

What made it “unserviceable” on this BRAND NEW Remington ‘03/A3, was the fact that the Stacking Swivel was missing!
 Post Reply Post Reply