Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winchester front site and trigger housing markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swarrenb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winchester front site and trigger housing markings
    Posted: Oct 19 2016 at 1:37pm
Hello.  I recently acquired a Winchester M1 carbine wherein the front site is marked with an "L" on the right side.  I am unable to find any information on this marking other than a brief blurb in a book that it is "rare" and likely from mid-1943. 
  • Also, on the bottom of the trigger housing on the flat space of metal that is in between the mag release and the safety, is an inscribed number seven (7). 
  • Also on the trigger housing, on the actual right hand side (as you hold the rifle right side up), just below the safety (please note that the marking will be on the left as you hold the rifle upside down to view it), is an inscribed capital "R" with serifs. Please note that this "R" is completely visible when the rifle is assembled, as it is on the thin lip of metal just above the safety that makes up the upper wall of the trigger housing .
Any assistance in understanding these markings would be greatly appreciated.

By the way the serial # of the gun is 10644XX and has a bull nose handguard, a type 1B mag release, and an "I" cut stock. All parts on this rifle are original, period, Winchester and look to be factory original.   
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2016 at 3:26pm
Th L on the front sight is for Lyman, maker of many of Winchester's front and rear sights. The 7 (I've seen other marks there) on the bottom of the trigger housing is most likely indicative of a Winchester trigger housing. Usually, there's three or so symbols on the right hand nearest the mounting lug. The letter W is usually present, but other weirder looking markings can be there too.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2016 at 3:55pm
Agree with Why Carbines on the TH.
Lyman was the only manufacturer listed for Winchester front sights.
The "L " marked were seen on some on early Winchester guns. There have been reports close to your serial range. There is some info here.

Carefully inspect the front pin to see if evidence of removal.
If gun is a correct un restored I would ask you fill out and submit a data sheet.

But as always pics tell a better story.

posting pictures
swarrenb View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swarrenb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2016 at 8:47pm
Gentlemen...Thank you for the information. For the record, all parts of the action of the gun are Winchester marked, are of the proper type that indicates to me that it is all original, and are listed as follows:
Type I dogleg hammer, 
Unmarked Type I barrel band, 
Type IB mag release, 
Type I (checkered but not beveled) safety, 
Type I trigger housing, 
"W" marked undated barrel with Winchester cartouche, 
Type I rear flip sight with no stake marks, 
Bull nose two rivet unmarked hand guard, 
Type II "W" marked flat bolt with a Type I firing pin (I have not disassembled the bolt to verify the maker of the firing pin and extractor), 
Unmarked Type I slide, 
Type I 15 round mag that has an upside down IW that is in a circle, 
Type I Operating Slide Spring Housing,
Type I sear, etc. 

The bolt, mag release, 15 round magazine, hammer spring plunger, and the sear are blued. The rest of the parts have a deep, dark, well patinated, parkerized finish.

Bought this gun at a store where I know everyone very well and they know me. They told me that they bought it off of a family that was selling off their father's guns who had passed away and that he was a WWII vet.

Caveats: The gun is missing the butt plate.
              The main caveat is that the stock had been sanded (but not brutalized) and has no cartouches, armory markings, or proof marks and had been coated in a reddish shellac. After removing the action from the stock, I used turpentine and a whole lot of elbow grease to remove all of the shellac after which I gave it seven (7) coats of linseed oil.

Request for help: I would love to post some pics for you but do not know how to do so. I would like to post them directly as opposed to putting them on some outside site and posting a link. Can you provide directions on how to directly post them to one of my replies?  Thanks.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2016 at 10:45pm
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/pictures-tips-sizing-and-posting-avatars_topic1083.html

See second post.
You can also email them to me and i can post or have them put into your folder for you to post.
 Post Reply Post Reply