Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winchester Carbine Scoped

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete 45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winchester Carbine Scoped
    Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:32am
At the range this weekend with a friend who brought a recent addition to his collection. I was familiar with the Winchester M1 Carbine but not its attached telescope. Over the years I've seen carbines scoped from photographs taken during the Korean and Vietnam periods (uncertain about WWII). My recollection is that they were large (in circumference) units mounted atop the rifle, possibly infrared. This Winchester had a more typical scope (at least to me) mounted in a very well produced mount. From what I could see, the telescope had a Model Number (?) M73B1, Stock Number 7579931, and a serial number. There was no manufacturer name or identification.

Is there anyone that might assist in further identity of this particular telescope?

Thanks,

Pete
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 1:12pm
It looks like a mount for the M3 IR sniper scope with a Weaver M73B1 scope attached. This arrangement allowed a scope to be attached to a standard M1 or M2 carbine without needing the "special" T3 receiver. The hand guard only needed to be modified to allow the front connection to the barrel. Of course the rear sight had to be removed to mount the special M3 mount. You can dig into it more here.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/modelT3.html
JackP
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 4:30pm
Well, it certainly looks cool. How well did it shoot? Did you get to shoot it?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 2:41am
On the page linked read about the M1e7 which was a scoped carbine that was not adopted. 

The M73b1 scope  may have been the scope that was being used on the 1903 and maybe the Garand?

What I do know is there is controversy as to which scopes were used and those that may have been used.

With that there are reproductions and faked scopes. If the scope is real deal it may have some value.
As far as military application goes the carbine effective range did not make it a good sniper.
Pete 45 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete 45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 1:39pm
JackP, Donnie, and Dan, many thanks for your responses and the info you provided for it helped open the door to see what my buddy has in his collection. One thing for certain it is a very good looking piece of equipment. No Donnie we didn't shoot it that day, he's told me it is quite accurate.

Here are a few more photographs.

Thanks for your interest and responses.

Pete

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 5:18pm
That's a neat looking setup. Seems to have been together a while.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2019 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

That's a neat looking setup.

Agree, I love the way this thing looks. I think I will keep an eye out for a mount. Not sure I could ever find an original M73B1 or Weaver 330 but I did find that Hi-Lux makes a reproduction (M73G4). As Dan mentioned the Carbine has its range limits so not the best "sniper" option, but as my eyes get older it would be nice to have a neat looking scoped shooter carbine.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply