Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winchester Bavaria Rural Police M1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2021 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by SSNPingjockey SSNPingjockey wrote:

As was already mentioned; however, since that barrel date is obviously not a date that would be original to that receiver, it is possible that the original barrel may have been import marked and swapped out by a prior owner.

@Chad, What barrel date? 
I'm betting that it is a CMP return!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2021 at 6:34pm
 Wayne…Lolol…good catch. I was like…what does he mean?  Then I looked. 

I read the original post in the thread when it was first posted a while back and didn’t re-read. For some reason, after reading Charlie’s post, was thinking the barrel was dated and not matching (never mind that it’s a 5.5mil WRA and sure wouldn’t have a date).  Must have been a different topic.  Confusing my OP opening fact patterns. Sorry. 

Anyway….I agree…probably a CMP return with no import mark. 
Chad
USN Retired
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2021 at 8:46pm
Shake your head a couple of times. It'll help clear the cob webs....Ay least that's what I keep telling myself.........
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2021 at 11:30pm
To me it looks like at least the barrel band, front sight, and stock are not original to Bavarian service and were changed out at some point. Does the stock have the last 4 of the serial in the slingwell? I recall the CMP also received some incomplete Bavarian rifles and they made them serviceable to sell in the last carbine lottery. Might be something like that, or a "correction" by the previous owner.
In any case it is a nice looking rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12