Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Win M1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blowback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Win M1
    Posted: Feb 17 2022 at 8:25pm

Hi everyone. I'm considering purchasing my first carbine and have lots of questions of coarse!
I'm not able to identify the stamping on the rear of the reciever. I expect that it has been through a rebuild, the barrel is longer than 18", but is apparently stamped Win.
Any other comments on its lineage are welcome.
Serial number 5650173.

Thanks
Blowback
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2022 at 9:31pm
The HE-R on the recoil plate is possibly a Bavarian (Hessen) marking, page down on the link below for more info.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 7:16am
Is the barrel actually stamped "WIN" or are you seeing the W and the P over W proof marking?

Does the barrel have an extension on it or perhaps it is two barrels that were demilled (cut up) and rejoined?

the stock has been through a rebuild at Raritan.

the question is if this is a Hessian as they had it or if cobbled together from parts?

What are the composition of the other parts? Does it have a bayonet lug, flip safety?

need more pictures for a better feel of what is going on

Blowback View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blowback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 11:02am
New2brass
Thanks for your input. I'm told the barrel retains WIN markings. Rotary safety.

Blowback

Blowback View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blowback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 11:12am
Only barrel picture available.

Blowback

john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 5:14pm
According to my measurements, the bbl. is 2" longer than normal. Wonder if 20" was to meet some kind of regulation or law , wherever?

John
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 5:35pm
Canada had a 20-inch regulation, but I think carbines are out with the latest gun-grabbing legislation. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 6:56pm
I see the OP is up in British Columbia.
Canada has, or had barrel length law with a barrel length minimum of 470 mm (18.504 inches)

see this post where it is talked about as well as welded together barrels

On of our more knowledgeable member on Canadian law has made several posts if you want to dig. His user name is Manteo97.

In the google search above you can also search "Canadian Law" and I am sure some of his posts will turn up
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 10:38pm
I don't see the narrow diameter on the barrel behind the front sight.
Unless I'm just not seeing it per the picture.

Sure it's a GI barrel ?

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2022 at 6:31am
Would be nice to see what the gas piston housing looks like and what markings if any, are on the flat; Plainfield barrel?

Or GS in BC perhaps?

Front sight profile; Winchester ?
 Post Reply Post Reply