The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where are they Today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Butsky View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2018 at 5:46pm
This stuff is great. Even if you were not  keen on firearms, the history is fantastic!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2018 at 4:22pm
Update on Underwood facility at 581 Capitol Ave. Hartford CT.

I have read that Underwood had a facility in Hartford but built a new building in 1910 to move into.
Here is a postcard with unknown date.

In a 1955 photo this is what the largest typewriter factory looked like.

Notice the first drawing depicted the factory as squared off on Capitol Ave entrance.
In the second picture notice the parking lot across the street (bottom of the picture as orientated) 
I think during the wartime production they leveled a building there to build the parking lot

Looking east on Capitol Ave. circa 1973

The building has since been demolished but you can see G-maps picture here

If you toggle between Map and Satellite view notice how the Park River, sometimes called Hog River disappears. There were some incredible floods and from the 1940s till 1980s the Army Corps of Engineers buried the river. There are Youtube videos of the floods as well as people now canoeing the now underground river.

I visited the Connecticut state library and pulled an Atlas from 1909. To my surprise, the extended property was mapped out. It was on different pages so I cropped them together. The red is the property. Blue is from what I can see an addition via the 1955 picture.

here is a Google Maps screenshot to compare. Note the Riverside Drive is now Park Pl. and not Park Street.

Here I superimposed the two.

As to the "Original Hartford factory" more to follow

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2018 at 4:51pm
Dan, did you run across anything that mentions UEF having a Bridgeport and/or New Hartford site during WW2? These locations are mentioned in WB, page 109.
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2018 at 5:26pm
Jumping the gun Jack, Yep Bridgeport and New Hartford to follow.
You forgot NYC, Very Important!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 2:11pm
Underwood plant
Connecticut Historical Society Museum & Library.
http://emuseum.chs.org/emuseum/view/objects/asitem/search$0040/2/title-asc?t:state:flow=c532f7a5-2764-402b-beb4-53390c73879f

All pictures: Gift of Ruth Goodale.

2006.44.16 © 2014 The Connecticut Historical Society.
Underwood Typewriter building before tear down Aug 1970 

2006.44.17 © 2014 The Connecticut Historical Society.
Factory Down. 
Dan Edit:(I believe this is looking east. The factory was to left, New Pope Park boundary to the right)

2006.44.1 © 2014 The Connecticut Historical Society.
Looking East on Park St. near underpass

2006.44.3 © 2014 The Connecticut Historical Society.
Looking North-West across Pope Park from Park Terr. South End 

2006.44.7 © 2014 The Connecticut Historical Society.
Pope Park  Development Area 

FWIW,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 4:43pm
Pics added Charlie.
I think it is their website that does not allow links. It is a way to prevent overuse of bandwidth.
Photos were copied and installed in your folder.

Further research shows that Underwood by 1950 (if not earlier) expanded down to the rest of the parking lot. Underwood also acquired the Johns-Prat company on Capitol ave. which is the little triangle to east

Picture not added was number 18 which was the "Porcelain plant" I am unsure if this was part of Underwood or a separate business. 

Great stuff Charlie, Thanks for sharing.

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 4:49pm
Charlie, I recognize the UEF factory in the first picture (2006.44.16) with the smoke stack in the background. Two other pictures (2006.44.18, 2006.44.20) show only the remains of part of the smoke stack during demolition. Thank you for sharing. Now we know when the Hartford factory was demolished (1970).

Here's the picture (2006.44.16) showing part of the iconic corner tower with the smoke stack in the background.

Notice the ivy covering the building. If you look closely, you can see the same ivy in the third picture Dan posted on Dec. 4.   
JackP
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 4:53pm
Dan, you beat me to it. Thanks for adding pics. Is that object above the tower in the first picture the Yankee Expressway overpass?
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 5:22pm
Good Eye Jack! 
Looking at Gmaps the Yankee Expressway (I84) is only about 3 or 4 stories high. In that picture, it would have been 6 or 7 stories high. So I am at a loss as to what it is. Notice to the left the roof is missing.

Take a look at the survey map I sent you. Underwood had a building across the street to the northeast as well as a building to the east across Woodbine. 

Edit to add. It may be the front corner tower we are seeing at the right side of this photo, which would mean that the roof was altered. you can see the Yankee expressway in this B&W photo
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 5:39pm
The angle is wrong for it to be the Expressway. I think it might be a large demolition crane hovering above the site. Maybe they have already demolished the tower roof. Notice that the roof east of the breezeway is partially missing as well. Also, half of the smoke stack is gone.
JackP
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Picture not added was number 18 which was the "Porcelain plant" I am unsure if this was part of Underwood or a separate business. 

Wasn't sure either about the Porcelain plant.. But then after reading through UEF News Christmas 1943, the write up about President Wagoner's 25th Anniversary gets around to mentioning the production of Aircraft instruments, Rate of climb indicators, fuses... etc.
I wondered if Porcelain Voltage Resistors 'Might' be a product they were making... Not sure.
Thanks for the help.

I'll try a link to those UEF News issues:

One thing is for sure UEF had a Ace up it's sleeve having someone like Philip D. Wagoner at the helm.
He had worked through Gov contracts both in WWI and WWII.

Been searching for newer issues to see if mention of a post WWII contract for bolts is mentioned.

Again Thanks Guys,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2019 at 2:59pm
While doing the research above I was contacted by the member who wrote the article. Subsequently, we worked together to uncover more information.
The original post has been updated to add more information on the Underwood plants.

Please check it out.
We would encourage anyone with the time and interest to add to this thread, as many have already done.
If you live in or in the area of any of the locations please take a picture of how it looks today. Historical pictures are also welcomed.

Here is an aerial view of the missing building in New Hartford. that is missing.  I overlayed a picture of the factory on the survey to give some perspective.

Both Underwood factories on that street were originally owned by Landers, Frary, and Clark. They were a cutlery business as well as manufacturing things such as vacuum cleaners which were manufactured at the plant pictured (now in original post)
The missing building pictured above was their Box Division.

In 1955 there were two back to back hurricanes that saturated Connecticut and surrounding states.
Days after the rivers rose and did incredible damage to the state to the tune of 200 million dollars which is about 1.6 billion in today's money.
The rushing flooded rivers overflowed and swept away the landscape, buildings, bridges, and roadways.
If interested do a search of 1955 Connecticut flood. Youtube has some videos. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Official Response Official Response
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2019 at 12:12pm
While doing the research above I was contacted by the member who wrote the article. Subsequently, we worked together to uncover more information.
The original post has been updated to add more information on the Underwood plants.
The Obituary link for Inland's O'Brien was broken so we fixed that link.

Please check it out.
We would encourage anyone with the time and interest to add to this thread, as many have already done.
If you live in or in the area of any of the locations please take a picture of how it looks today. Historical pictures are also welcomed.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2019 at 12:13pm
Here is an aerial view of the missing building in New Hartford. that is missing.  I overlayed a picture of the factory on the survey to give some perspective.

Both Underwood factories on that street were originally owned by Landers, Frary, and Clark. They were a cutlery business as well as manufacturing things such as vacuum cleaners which were manufactured at the plant pictured (now in original post)
The missing building pictured above was their Box Division.

In 1955 there were two back to back hurricanes that saturated Connecticut and surrounding states.
Days after the rivers rose and did incredible damage to the state to the tune of 200 million dollars which is about 1.6 billion in today's money.
The rushing flooded rivers overflowed and swept away the landscape, buildings, bridges, and roadways.
If interested do a search of 1955 Connecticut flood. Youtube has some videos. 
Road Rat View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2019 at 5:34pm
I always enjoy reading how the entire country got involved in the effort to support our military and our allies during World War TWO.  We shall never again see a time where nearly everyone was ready to pitch in at all levels!! Kids gather scrap iron, adults weren't pleased with rationing but did it quietly so the military could have all the supplies they required.  What a great time in America for "togetherness".......
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2020 at 3:11pm
Hueyjazz on the CMP Forum confirmed the location of Trimble Nurseryland Furniture Co. in Rochester, NY. They were the makers of stocks for National Postal Meter which was nearby. They're on the corner of Wren and Lexington. Here's a Google Earth Street view screen grab.

JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2021 at 7:42pm
Here is a building involved with the carbine program.

What is its significance and where is it. Be specific!

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/119xcorrecta.jpg
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2021 at 8:51pm
This is reportedly the site of Underwood Elliot Fisher headquarters during WW2, the location where the Carbine Committee was first established. The original address was stated as 241 Broadway, New York, NY as noted in War Baby!. However the building in the picture is actually located at 1 Park Avenue which was also noted as a UEF HQ address (WB pg.116) A building now at the Broadway location (see below) looks similar but is many blocks away and there is no 241. The addresses jump from 235 to 250.

Edited by jackp1028 - Mar 06 2021 at 6:51pm
JackP
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2021 at 4:40pm
If anyone has the time and inclination: The city library in Port Clinton has an extensive collection of information on the Standard Products plant. It was put together by one of the former mayors who worked there. I know of the collection, but haven't had the opportunity to look it over myself.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
palmettopilot View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2021 at 8:02pm
Great thread, I really enjoyed reading though all of it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>