The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What to do with this Inland?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whidbeymoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do with this Inland?
    Posted: Jul 29 2020 at 11:41am
A friend got this carbine in a trade about 5 years ago, had it sitting in a box, and has asked me to help him figure out what to do with it.  The markings for the receiver and trigger housing are Inland and the serial number only has 5 digits.  The paratrooper stock is aftermarket (it has no markings and is in too good of a shape).  The gun appears to have been refurb'd/polished/re-blued possibly with a new barrel.  The bolt is silver.

The extractor was stuck, so I soaked it and ordered a bolt tool and new set of springs, but haven't broken down the bolt (or trigger group) yet.  

The weapon fires and cycles, BUT I discovered a hairline crack on the gas piston housing.  Confused  IT needs re-barreling, but he is not attached to the gun.  From a sale standpoint, is he better off selling as is (or for the parts), or re-barreling prior to sale.

The options that I see are:

1)  Sell as is
2)  Re-barrel and sell
3)  Sell of the individual parts (is it sum of the parts worth more than the whole)
4)  Put it back in a box for another 5 years

There is a chance that once re-barreled, he would keep it, but if someone offered him one to buy for $300 I don't think that he spend the money on an M1.

As far as I go:  I live in the beautiful, but crazy Pacific Northwest. 

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2020 at 5:26pm
Can you post a picture of the gas cylinder (crack).
Any markings on the barrel?

Try 'Macro' setting on camera.

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Whidbeymoose View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whidbeymoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2020 at 10:42am
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whidbeymoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2020 at 10:48am

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2020 at 5:15pm
There is so much not original and repro on that carbine that if anyone replaced the barrel, all they would have is a shooter grade with a bunch of repro parts. Even the original finish has been destroyed. Even with a barrel replacement, it wouldn't be worth more than $550-$600.  If you deduct the cost of a new barrel, you've got a carbine worth around $300-$350. 
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whidbeymoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2020 at 5:36pm
thanks
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whidbeymoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2020 at 11:43am
Outcome based on forum feedback:

He is going to sell the repro para stock and non GI mags (which should cover his cost).

Buy a beater stock, then put it back in a box for another 5 years - OR - use it as a wall hanger.
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image