Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What safety, mag catch opinion needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What safety, mag catch opinion needed
    Posted: May 05 2017 at 8:42pm
So my Saginaw S.G. Build is coming towards the end (I know dumb idea, water under the bridge) The receiver was staked so I am using an adjustable sight, as well the stock has a rebuild stamp. My question is do I go with a rotary safety and post war mag release or go for correct parts per the serial number. I get the first choice would save money and I wouldn't see a return , but my intention was never to sell this carbine.    Looking for some opinions (not on building a carbine lol)
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 9:15am
I was thinking someone might jump in on this one but seeing none so far here's what I would ponder:
[1] If you go with the re-arsenal required mods then it will be correct with the adjustable sight and stock. 
[2] If you go with the original period supplied parts then you'll be in position to change out the adjustable sight to a flip sight at a later date with minimal investment.  One of the NL has an article for minimizing the appearance of the stake marks. I'm sure there are other "How to's" for changing them out.  

Thinking on these two options, #1 won't linger as an open-ended project.  I think I would finish it up IAW post-war, re-arsenal specifications.

That's my two bits worth.    
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 10:08am
Thanks for the response. I was leaning towards option 1 but seem not to pull the trigger as I keep wondering which way to go. I didn't realize you could minimize stake marks. Pretty sure I'm going to invest in purchasing the newsletter complete set.   Good news on the barrel installation, I found a gunsmith who specializes in carbines and garands only 20 mins from me, so I'm excited to get it installed. Now only to find a underwood barrel dated 4/43 🤔
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 11:17am
As for the options you can go with #1 and if you change your mind later then not a lot of harm done.  Could sell/trade the parts you replace.  

The CCNLs are a worthwhile reference, or at least I think so.  The only other reference I have is Reisch's book, although I keep thinking Larry Ruth's would be good.  However some of the NLs have some of Mr. Ruth referenced.  The one lesson I've learned from this forum is that none of the references are perfect and I try to update my Riesch book each time I find a discrepancy.  By the way I ended up with seven 3 ring binders for my NLs.  I had several old ones laying around so they ranged from 1.5" to 3".  I prefer the smaller binders as the thicker ones are harder to thumb through and it makes it easier to have a few NLs opened up at the same time.  Oh yea, unless they changed how they're printing them, then you'll get to do the hole punching.  That in itself is pretty neat though since you'll get a good preview of most of the letters. 

That's great news on the gunsmith and good luck on the barrel!
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 12:58pm
Thanks. Hey is there any difference in rotary safeties and mag catches in regards to the post war ones? Is there any better then the other or ones to stay away from?
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 2:47pm
Looks like in NL #2, rotary safeties were marked E.I. or HI for the Inlands.  Riesch also list a rotary marked EW for the Winchesters and I had seen somewhere in the past a W listed.  Perhaps someone can confirm or deny that tidbit.  NL#2 lists J.A.O., JAO, and some other circled markings under Others.  I suspect these are the replacement/post war re-arsenal makes.  I found on another site "H.T." "J.A.O." "P" "N" "CM" "M" in a circle or unmarked are the Post War markings.  

As for the mag catch, depending on what you read there are 4 to 6 different types. I'm thinking the ones with an M may be the one.

So with all this said, I really would like someone else to jump in and help out on this.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 6:27pm
All rotary safeties are made to same specs. JAOs have been spotted on late Winchesters.  I do not know if the others are post war or war time upgrades. Basically some GIs accidently were dropping the mags instead of hitting safety. By making it different there would be no issue
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 6:39am
Is your cabine a Saginaw Saginaw or a Saginaw Grand Rapids?
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 7:27am
This one is Saginaw S.G.   I do have an S'G' receiver as well but that one doesn't have stake marks so it's definitely getting correct parts. Someday as I found out from an experienced collector there's a lot of Irwin Petersen parts I need 😳🤑
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 8:01am
I have a T3 SG mag release marked W over S G I am planning on putting on fleabay
 Post Reply Post Reply