Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What exactly do I have here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nungut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What exactly do I have here?
    Posted: Feb 12 2021 at 3:40pm
Afternoon all,
Any help here would be appreciated. I have recently gotten my hands on a seemingly real nice Saginaw, but I'm not convinced it's all original. Hopefully I didn't over pay. I took several pictures, but they are all too big of a file to upload. I will do my best to describe what I am looking at, and hopefully it will be what you guys need to help me with. 
It's sitting in a very nice, what I believe to be, tiger birch stock. 
Rear stamp reads  Saginaw SG
                             333xxxx
Fixed rear iron sight 
Front stamp reads   U.S. CARBINE
                             CAL. 30 M1
One set of holes on the top handguard
Push button style safety
bayonet lug 
barrel marked   SAGINAW SG DIV.
                       GENERAL MOTORS
has the green sling attached as well. 
I cannot find this gun in any bluebook values that I own. 
Is this an original? What other details am I missing that may be necessary to help answer that question? 
I am thankful for your help. 
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2021 at 4:10pm
Sounds like a Saginaw that has had some upgrades. Original? Depends on what you mean by original. All USGI, most likely. As manufactured? no. Without seeing it, it is impossible to put a value on it, but in the present market, somewhere between $850 and $1000, and possibly a bit more.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2021 at 4:31pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

We need detailed pictures of the carbine to tell if it's really original. SG's had push safeties and two hole hand guards. Also, the barrel appears original to the receiver. We need to see pictures of the stock markings, barrel band, trigger housing, rear sight staking, etc. to know if everything is original.

Check here on sizing pictures.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/pictures-tips-sizing-and-posting-avatars_topic1083.html
JackP
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2021 at 4:59pm
I'll suggest this.
Begin with resizing and uploading the photos you have.
- Be sure to include a good photo of the receiver by the recoil plate.  That will also include the rear sight.
- Include a photo with any stampings on the stock.

Then, are you familiar with the 'field stripping'?   That's the basic disassembly.  If not, you can find guidance in a number of sources.  I used the Army's Field manual FM 23-7 but its also in other books and a color phot version on the CMP website.

It's not too difficult and will reveal a bunch more.  Take photos as you go along.
 Post Reply Post Reply