Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Were Inland Hammer Plungers Blued?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Weaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Were Inland Hammer Plungers Blued?
    Posted: Apr 25 2016 at 11:42am
I'm looking for a blued hammer plunger.  I saw a picture of an Inland plunger for sale, but I'm not sure if it's blued or parkerized.  Can anyone tell me if Inland used blued plungers, parkerized plungers, or some combination.

Thanks!
James Weaver
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2016 at 1:13pm
I believe for the most part on Inlands all the small parts and pins were blued or black oxide. later there was a mix of in the white or blued/black oxide for hammer plunger.

Maybe Newscotlander will chime in as he wrote the Inland updates and is very familiar with them
James Weaver View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Weaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2016 at 8:26am
I did some reading last night.

According to Reisch, parkerized hammer plungers were either very late war or post war.  He stated in his 7th edition that hammer plungers were blued or in-the-white.  

I couldn't locate any other information in the few books that I have.  I forgot to check Canfield, though.
James Weaver
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2016 at 9:54am
Books are not necessarily correct or dated information. Were they referring to Inlands or all manufactures with respect of phosphate coatings used on hammer plungers?
CCNLs use known samples that are original as left the factory.

Seems early on blue/black then Blue/Black and white. later in the white more prevalent but blue black was also seen.

My thought is that it is easier to blue or black oxide small parts as the Parkerizing creates bubbles and if parts touch each other the finish is mottled or bare spots.

NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2016 at 12:16pm
"Can anyone tell me if Inland used blued plungers, parkerized plungers, or some combination."

It would appear from the data that Inland used Hammer Spring Plungers with a black oxide finish early in production and transitioned to unfinished Plungers buy the end of production. I don't believe that Inland ever used plungers with a phosphate finish, however I have not done any research on very late M2 production.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Weaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2016 at 12:27pm
Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the wisdom.  I'm a teacher so I can't buy the Carbine Club Newsletters with summer coming up.  However, it's at the top of my list for fall.  I'm really looking forward to reading through all of them.  What a treasure trove of awesome information.
James Weaver
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2016 at 5:56pm
And when I posted "buy", I actually meant "by". Can't find a way to edit the typo.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2016 at 6:11pm
"post options" on top rt of your post "edit Post"
coolt1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2016 at 1:15pm
James,
I believe Newscotlander is correct.
I have a NIW Inland WW2 spare I'll send you, on the house.
You're poor enough;-)
COOLT
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Weaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2016 at 2:32pm
Thanks, but I bought a few replacements.  I wasn't hitting anyone up for a free one.  That's very kind of you, though.  I really appreciate everyone here willing to share knowledge.  There is so much fascinating history with carbines.
James Weaver
 Post Reply Post Reply