Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

War Baby Vol 1 & Early M1 Carbine Parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: War Baby Vol 1 & Early M1 Carbine Parts
    Posted: Aug 26 2021 at 9:49pm
Look what arrived today!  And in addition to Larry Ruth's autograph, I plan on trying to get autographs from the following M1 Carbine Masters & Enthusiast all of whom I've met just in the past 3 weeks since acquiring my SN270 Inland :-)  

These Great Americans have educated me, counselled me, encouraged me, and on occasion chastised me for my Newbie ignorance (Ok that's mostly been Dan, but I definitely deserved, appreciated, and needed his well timed, purposely intentioned for my benefit & growth -  wisdom. Thank you Dan :-) 

Dan Pinto
Marcus Rust 
Wayne Porowski (Semper Fidelis!)
Ken Otero
Bruce Dow
Marty Black
Mark Nevins (Semper Fidelis!)
Rick Borowski
Joel Voss
Owner - Patriot Sporting Goods Crystal River FL (Semper Fidelis!)  

Edited by HammerGrunt - Aug 26 2021 at 10:08pm
HammerGrunt View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2021 at 10:00pm
Earliest Type Inland Buttplate;

Early Inland Recoil Plate;

Early Inland Oiler with II on bottom;

Early Type USGI 1942 Era Sling;

Earliest 1942 Inland I Cut Stock (being restored);

Later 1942 Inland I Cut Stock;

Edited by HammerGrunt - Aug 26 2021 at 10:17pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2021 at 10:31pm
Hammer, I'd say that you are very close to being Hooked on Carbines. The other 2 War Baby Volumes go really good with the 1st one. 
Have you started selling off all of your other firearms to make room for more carbines yet?LOL Nobody can only have two!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2021 at 6:21am
For all on the Forum - I have a special respect for my Fellow Warrior and Marine Brother Wayne W5USMC - we served in Afghanistan together in 2009-10

Wayne you say "Very Close to being Hooked on Carbines" -  No Sir!  
I was hooked 50 years ago when my Grandfather let me shoot my very 1st Gun and then he trained me how to shoot safely and use a peep sight and clear front sight tip to hit what I was aiming at. He then gave me that same 1944 Rock-Ola M1 Carbine which became the very 1st Gun that I owned. That's when I was Officially Hooked :-)

Over the following 40 years I bought, traded, sold and Collected several hundred Mosins, Mausers, Enfields, and 03, 1917 Enfields, 03-A3, Garands while attending Gun Shows, picking thru Pawn Shops, shooting Competitively on the USMC Shooting Team, and digging thru Captured & Liberated Weapons in Wars, but never M1 Carbines... I was even awarded a Secretary of Navy Trophy NATO 7.62 M1 Garand for being the High New Tyro Shooter at a Marine Corps Division Match. 

Out of the hundreds of MilSurps Ive owned, I've only retained about 30 and those are the best of the best of their "type / model". Those are already in my Son's house in TN where my Grandsons are :-)  The only rifle I have in my house now is my Rock-Ola M1 Carbine. Its my Home Defense weapon and my Wife is well versed in racking its simple little short pull Bolt and flip its little safety handle back to where its pointing at her because that means its ready for her to fire...

So - I like to think that Ive been saving the Best for Last - that is to acquire a very special M1 Carbine (Inland SN 270) to replace the Rock-Ola that I'm passing on to my Grandsons like my Grandfather did to me :-)  Now if I just happen by circumstance and default to pick a couple "extra" Carbines in the process of this Family transition, well... at least I have plenty of room for at least 40 or so that will easily fill the empty racks I still have from when I transferred my "MilSurp Collection" up to my Son's place in TN :-)

I guess I do need to start looking for an Underwood barrelled action an Trigger Housing group to put in the WWII Underwood Replacement Stock that my Inland 270 is currently sitting in until I get my restored Inland O, LA, Flaming Bomb, Cannons Cartouche marked I Cut stock :-)

Semper Fidelis!
Hammer
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2021 at 3:09pm
Quote I guess I do need to start looking for an Underwood barrelled action an Trigger Housing group to put in the WWII Underwood Replacement Stock that my Inland 270 is currently sitting in until I get my restored Inland O, LA, Flaming Bomb, Cannons Cartouche marked I Cut stock

I've stayed in the shadows as I've been very busy with research and constructing more web pages for this website. Time is always a big challenge with so much yet to do.

I've seen the photos of Inland 270 and I'm in agreement with Larry Ruth and others that it's consistent with a prototype that was not issued to any soldier. Its slide and bolt assembly are not like any carbine we have ever seen before. I suspect it remained in-house at Inland or with Ordnance as a test bed. It's impossible to know what was original to Inland 270 as prototypes were often one of a kind.

The Underwood stock, while not consistent with an Inland and especially not an in-house Inland prototype, may have been put on it by Ordnance if they were the ones experimenting with it.

Please reconsider changing any part on this carbine. It appears to be a piece of carbine history.

The people who helped assess the carbine for what it is will regret having helped you.

Jim
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2021 at 3:53pm
I sincerely respect both your advice and your genuine concern/interest in the history of this special early Inland. 
I was just making a joke about finding a Receiver/Barrel to drop into its Underwood replacement stock. I plan on keeping the Underwood stock and the type 3 unmarked hammer with this 270 as part of its history. Those are the only two pieces of it that I’ll replace with the O and LA earliest Inland type stock that I am getting from Rick Borecki, and the early Type 1 Hammer that I got from Bruce Dow. This amazing piece of M1 Carbine history will be staying with me and my family and won’t be put up for sale. 

I personally know the Marine veteran that I got this Inland 270 from, and he said that the World War II Veteran that he bought it from 25 years ago told him he was an Officer in the 1st Infantry Division, that he’d been issued this Carbine in July 1942 right before he shipped out to England, that he’d carried it into North Africa and then into Europe, he’d broke its original stock, and that he brought it home with him from the War. I don’t see why believe World War II veteran who was 76 at the time he sold this Carbine and his .45 pistol to my Marine friend, would have had a reason to make up that story, especially if he had somehow gotten it from the Inland factory or from someone else who has gotten it from the Inland factory. 

So either it is a World War II veteran bring back, as I believe, or it’s an Inland factory test Carbine that somehow got out in the general population, either way, it is very rare and super special to me because it will be staying in my family and passed on to my grandsons with its amazing historical history :-)

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2021 at 3:05am
HammerGrunt,

I mean no disrespect to those who owned it before you, or you. I really appreciate you sharing all the pics and info you have shared. You have a very interesting carbine. I think the following may help a little with understanding several things.

Most everyone on this forum and other forums has heard stories about carbines people owned or were selling. Not all stories were tall tales. Some were simply an evolution of verbal history. Documentation to support a verbal history helps a great deal when examining a carbine but even when documented, over the years so much has been faked we look to the carbine to see if it verifies the documents and/or story.

You've had some of the most experienced and knowledgeable people anyone could find examine what you have shared. Each formed their own conclusions with one conclusion being consistent among them: "consistent with" a prototype based on the unique features of a number of the parts along with the serial number. With several parts that may have replaced the original parts.

Who replaced them is anyone's best guess but prototypes were test beds often used for more than one concept/trial. Over time they commonly had parts replaced to facilitate further testing of the concept or a different theory/concept. Resulting in a mix of early parts and later parts. Some of the experimental/prototype carbines were later presented to an employee, affiliate, or Ordnance officer. These "presentation" carbines were commonly made presentable to varying degrees depending on who they were presented too. Without regard as to which part matched the time period the serial number was used.

We have no evidence that Inland 270 was a presentation carbine. Only knowledge of those that had evidence that educated us as to their history and the possibilities for a carbine like this one. We have no evidence it didn't go off to war. Intentionally or unintentionally. The possibilities are many which is one reason why it would be interesting to do more detailed research on this one. Which may or may not find anything.

The most significant thing that indicates it's a prototype/experimental is the slide's cam cut for the right bolt lug.

No one has found the Ordnance specs for the cam cuts of the early slides. Those specs changed over time and the drawings Ordnance retained were the most recent specs. Not the earlier drawings. What we know of the cam cut comes from data on tens of thousands of carbines and their slides submitted to our database since 1976 along with slides we have owned. As part of or separate from a carbine. Some of us carbine addicts have owned hundreds of carbines (myself not included).

What that data has shown us is what the slide manufacturers did and generally when during a particular serial number sequence. Which tells us what the Ordnance specs were at the time.

While some Ordnance specs were somewhat flexible the degree to which the cam cut of the slide in Inland 270 deviates from the norm is something we only see in prototypes/experimental carbines. It's so far off the norm that I question whether Ordnance would have accepted it if it was given to an Ordnance inspector at Inland. Or, if it was accepted as a production carbine and later altered by Ordnance, they did not forward those they altered to this extent for use by troops. In both cases, if it was to be accepted and issued they would have replaced the slide and possibly the bolt.

Is it possible someone missed it? Is it possible it was rushed out the door without a close inspection or without concern? As I indicated earlier, the possibilities are many. But the history of the extent to which Ordnance went to determine and set those specs, then inspect and enforce them before accepting a carbine are well documented and the reason why so many are still in use 75+ years later after what many went thru during that time.

Back to Inland ... their involvement with the carbine was extensive. Their prototypes/experimental/presentation quantities were consistent with this and their large production quantities. Their involvement with the carbines ended the day after Japan signed the armistice. They went back to manufacturing whatever General Motors wanted them to manufacture for the automotive industry. The company had no interest in preserving prototype/experimental carbines or their records that, as a result, went in many different directions or were destroyed. They were not like Olin and Pugsley at Winchester with records and prototypes now preserved in a museum (Cody Firearms Museum). Which has made Inland carbine history a real challenge. Various Inland prototypes are currently owned by collectors.

So when some of us see a carbine like Inland 270 we are very interested in trying to learn why the slide was made that way and what the result was. Along with preserving it as-is, whatever it is. It's possible, even likely, an owner swapped a few parts out. But trying to figure out which parts were original is only an educated guess with education varying from one person to the next.

If Inland 270 was issued to the soldier with the 1st Infantry Division while in North Africa it wasn't used in combat much with that extractor plunger. The slide cam cut has me wondering if it's safe to shoot. But my experience isn't even remotely close to that of some of the folks you've had examine your carbine or pictures.

Just a suggestion ... it would be interesting and may have value to look into the service records of the veteran of the 1st Infantry Division. They won't provide the serial number but they may reveal what he did, when, and where.

Jim
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2021 at 3:56am
Jim - I don’t take your information / education in a negative way at all. I sincerely respect both the time and interest that you and so many others have put into this fascinating little Carbine. I also understand that it takes much more than just a verbal story from an old veteran to make it actual history and now based on your and the others observations about its past I of course have a couple questions I hope you can help answer :-)

1. Doesn’t the deep gouging and wear seen on its Trigger Housing wall from both a type 1 and a type 3 Hammer show evidence that hundreds of rounds were fired with both types of hammers? And the Slide cam and Bolt also show extensive wear / use. Safe to fire? It sure looks like hundreds of rounds we’re fired through this weapon. If that’s true from its visible wear from firing, are you saying you think that the slide and bolt were added later after its original Slide and Bolt were used to fire all those rounds?

2. Besides the unmarked type 3 Hammer, and the replacement stock, what other parts may have been added later that replaced it’s original parts? Both Bruce Dow and Ken Otero have taken this 270 completely apart and they both observed that the only metal part that wasn’t original to its Mid 1942 production was the type 3 hammer. I would like to take it back to Ken for him to take a look at whatever part it is that you and the others feel may have been a later production add other than the hammer.

3. For the majority of truly experienced collectors, which is more valuable, more sought after;
- a SN 270 Production testing Carbine that was never issued out to the Military
- a SN 270 that was issued out in the first block of production  carbines that was subsequently used in combat in WWII?

Thank you !

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2021 at 5:21am
1. If it was issued and carried during WWII then that wear would be normal for having been used during WWII.

But if it was a prototype/experimental test gun that wear may have happened during whatever tests were done. Using whatever carbine the parts were on at the time. Some of these carbines were test fired a lot with parts swapped based on whatever the needs were.

1 & 2) Or, the few parts not original to that early time (stock and hammer) may have been added by a subsequent owner. Same with the parts that have been modified (sear, hammer plunger, recoil spring guide, receiver finish in chamber area). It's odd the extractor was modified from its original spec as required by Ordnance but the extractor plunger wasn't replaced. The modification and replacement were mandatory for Ordnance on carbines they had already accepted that were issued to troops. With that early plunger having a common problem of ejecting out of the bolt during firing. Wouldn't necessarily be odd for a test carbine.

Bruce Dow and Ken Otero are very well qualified. More so than me. Plus they have had the opportunity to do a hands on examination instead of pics only. If either didn't spot that cam cut it wouldn't be unusual. It's easily overlooked during a hands on exam. You might point it out along with it's similarity to the cam cut of the production slides on the M1 Rifles. Ask them to explain to you how the shape and position of the cam cut effects the bolt and firing mechanism. Also have them take a look at the right bolt lug and bolt face.

2) One of the problems I've had is the pics of parts that I received had parts from two different carbines intermingled with one another. Apparently used to compare the different parts but without identifying which is which in the pics. I'll let someone else chime in on which parts were not original.

3) Value is in the eyes of the beholder. Even with experienced collectors. Sometimes the motives have more to do with money instead of history. Prototype/experimental carbines are a niche for those interested in preserving/collecting history. Those are a much smaller group than those who are on what I call a Quest for the Golden Fleece. History has been lost by some folks reconstructing a carbine into something someone thought was all original. Out of personal preference or monetary. Sometimes we find one reconstructed that we already have documentation that indicates what it was prior and both the monetary and collector value has been irretrievably lost. A few "presentation" carbines come to mind.

Finding the niche interested in buying prototypes who will pay for them is not as simple and fast as finding those who want a carbine used by troops during WWII in pristine condition as manufactured by the factory. Some seem to forget or haven't seen what a weapon used in combat for any period of time looks like.

Over the years so many have been reconstructed, by novices and collectors, that it's now often difficult to identify authentic vs reconstructed.

This is just from my limited perspective. Hopefully someone else will jump in and add to this. My perspective is, if there is a chance something was a prototype I leave it as is and research it.

I need to get back in my cave and work on what I been working on. When the article with pics is available some of the long time collectors here are very experienced and can help. No one person knows it all.

Jim

Edited by sleeplessnashadow - Sep 07 2021 at 5:36am
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2021 at 12:26pm
I can say that you’ve put me in a good quandary and dilemma now because I now realize that there are two camps of thought; 
1. to leave it with its replacement Stock and Unmarked Type 3 Hammer (which might be a test piece they used before they went to full production on the type 3 hammers) an consider it a very early production/ordinance weapon that wasn’t ever issued out for use in combat, or 
2. put it into an O and LA Early Inland Stock with it’s early type 1 Hammer and just hang onto the replacement stock and unmarked type 3 Hammer as part of its amazing history. 

I’m actually fine with doing either one and I really appreciate everybody’s sincere input on what is collectively believed to be the best thing to do for this very special carbine in order to keep it as historically and collectively relevant as possible.

I’m just really happy that I have this issue to have to deal with because it doesn’t seem that this dilemma comes around very often in the M1 carbine collectors community...
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2021 at 12:56pm
I think I need to clarify something.

I'm not saying it is an Ordnance test gun. Also not saying it wasn't issued.

I don't think it was a coincidence 269 was used for testing a prototype slide then 270 shows up with what looks like a prototype slide and matching bolt.

A lot could have happened since then but those parts didn't.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, folks.

Jim
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2021 at 1:04pm
I really appreciate you clarifying that Jim. I thought from reading your earlier post that is what you were saying, that you thought it was a production in-house test gun that didn’t get issued out With its other early 3 Digit series lot number that went to the 1st Infantry Division in July 1942 before they shipped out for England and then into combat an North Africa.

I’m even more curious now. 
Are you saying it could Have been an Inland in-house test weapon, that then later got issued out to the military?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2021 at 1:12pm
I'm gonna let some of the more experienced folks chime in here and explain what's been found with some of the test guns.

Some were issued and went off to war. I'm not aware of any prototype parts tested going with them. Especially if your slide was the prototype or one of the prototypes tested with 269 that was not a success.

I jumped in only because I wanted to suggest not modifying anything in case there is history that could be lost. Also for future readers to consider what they change may devalue what they have. It may be a couple months before the article is released so everyone can see it. Sorry folks.

Jim

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2021 at 10:22pm
Jim and you and so many others have been so helpful with educating me on this really interesting Early Carbine. 

I sincerely appreciate everyone’s patience as I am trying to learn in just a matter of week what others have dedicated years of their lives in researching and accumulating information / background on the history and known and discoverable facts of early Carbine testing and production.

Yours and others input and appreciated influence have made it an easy decision for me to leave this 270 Inland as it was acquired 26 years ago from the WW2 Army Officer with its replacement stock and it’s unmarked type 3 Hammer, and Not change it by putting a type 1 dogleg hammer in it, or put it in an O LA early Stock.

I found a another very early 3446 Inland that has all of its original as produced metal Parts and it’s O LA Stock and its O and Flaming Bomb handguard and this has allowed me to see how interesting this 270 Inland really is, and helped me to decide to leave it as found...

Thank you!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply