The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USGI snake bite...this forum knows my history:)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USGI snake bite...this forum knows my history:)
    Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 4:59pm
Well gents, here I am with a second carbine that I bought for an excellent price, it's non humped, parts/wear match, beautiful SA post war pot belly, and completely un bubba'd.   This was an educated, very patient, and ultimately the exact specimen that I hope to land, and had been purposefully looking for.   A beautiful shooter, that's unmolested in it's rebuild form, all for the price of what a true A+ shooter USGI carbine should cost for a new buyer.

Now over the last 6 weeks I had to fix both rear and front sights that were loose in front, and unstaked in the rear. After much thought, I ultimately relied mainly on brand new red Loctite, with the help of a owl scrawl, auto punch, and small hammer that I used to tediously move small amounts of new metal in existing stake marks from old.   Today after my second trip with both sights fully fixed, and now with roughly 150rds on them, I'm confident these will serve me for some time, if not for indefinitely given I won't be putting thousands and thousands of rounds through it.

I've been learning from the best, you guys! That and the other best way, the school of hard knocks, or by shooting the darn gun:) So with that said, and based on my last epic thread on here with all the troubleshooting....I knew to:

1. Serious cleaning including chamber, and bolt.

2. Break down bolt, clean throughly, and check all springs and parts.

3. When I broke the bolt down initially, my extractor spring had broken a small section off, along with the slide stop spring. SO this instantly called for every spring to be replaced in the rifle except for the mag catch/safety spring. I own now 7 different "NOS" NEW recoil USGI springs, and literally none of them have ever measured 10.25"(all were short, and only 2 or so were around the 10.2" mark). All 7 are from three different sources fwiw.

4. Examine piston to make sure if moves totally free.

eta:

Sorry I submitted the thread to early, and had to rush and edit to get stuff posted that would make sense.

LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 5:08pm
So the problem:

After 100rds or so today, roughly 15% of the time I would have the bolt assembly fail to fully lock in place, or seat. Not like last time with LP strikes, but where somehow there isn't enough "ummmp" to occasionally bring it all the way home.

This causes me to lower the mag, rack the bolt to rear, and let fly home in order to seat the round. Then I reengage the mag.    

NO FTF, NO LP strikes, NO STOVEPIPES, or other malfs, just the occasional lack of the bolt fully seating.

Any thoughts my carbine gurus?

Honestly gents, the vast majority of people I speak to at ranges, or in gun stores all say the same thing, USGI carbines sure are cool little guns......BUT MINE NEVER RAN perfect, or fine.   Then on the forums, somehow eveybody's carbine is a sewing machine.   

This whole aspect is only making me more sure in my thoughts, that the vast majority of carbine owners, new and old alike shoot these guns very, very little. Most write off the crap reliablility, and overall archaic tech in favor of it's history, their own personal history with this firarm, or that it's just a fun gun to shoot and it's no biggie if it hiccups.

This isn't a knock, or a negative as I'll always own carbines now, and will always love them in what ever capacity thet fill in my collection, but at this point......it's the design really even for it's time, let alone 70yrs later with worn rifles, and almost non existant parts except for the "correcter" market since those again don't need to function perfect many times based on what I'm learning from correctors, and my first carbine.

Lastly, cause I like all my theads to have a pic or two:)

Still looking to find out what this code or mark means on my SA potbelly stock in the normal location for a rebuild code.   Two have suggested Naval Ordnance code, perhaps Naval Ordnance Pensicola - 51 (number being the possible year??)

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 6:59pm
Lubrication? Are you still shooting monarch ammo, maybe an underpowered load every now and then not sending the op slide all the way to the rear? I will say that I do shoot my carbines often, at least once a week, when I do shoot I usually only shoot 50 rds. at a time, 10 of my 12 never malfunction, the other 2 will give me a stove pipe now and then, to me it's no big deal and expected. With that said I have had malfunctions with high dollar 1911's, M-16's, M-4's, M-9's the list goes on. I contend that there is no 100% reliable semi-auto out there although a Glock is pretty close. There is a reason that the military to this day teaches immediate action for stoppages. Just my thoughts but also the reason I carry a revolver as my CCW.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 7:10pm
He Wayne, Thanks a bunch for weighing in with your great expertise on these carbines.....

RE: Lube... I thought of this too, and use both Hoppes Elite grease, and ALG GO Juice (Rem oil type) in their respective locations.   Applied liberally, and leave just a nice thin layer over all the parts so that it doesn't impair operation, or sling oil all over me, and the wood stock.

As usual, your on point....as the bulk of my shooting is indeed with Monarch. That said, I ran a 10-15 rds of USGI ball to confirm it was just weak ammo. It did it on one occasion with the full power USGI lake city ammo.   The Monarch is just so convient, cheap, clean, and accurate.   Just wish they made it true full power, but then again, Serbia or similar countries of manufacturer are notorious for underpowered ammo so I don't expect this to change.

I agree with you in regards to any machine or tool can fail, that said.....I'm still waiting on numerous LMT, Colt, and KAC AR15s...along with every single HK handgun I've ever bought.     I too would expect failures on even the best 1911s, goes with the territory to be a "1911 gun"

I know you shoot your carbines, as I really appreciate your collection especially. Perhaps one day when your tired of that ugly tiger stripe mix master in your safe, you'll send it to me for disposable. That was an awesome looking rifle even in the safe.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 7:52pm
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2018 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/topic3696_post24272.html#24272

Well you just made my night Dan, honestly! I'm so glad I've found this place.

Dan you are easily one of the most knowledgable persons on a single firearm's history that I've ever come across. Easily on a savant level.

Can't believe you found some more concrete info for me, especially that pic! If you guys only knew how much I've spent googling, and reading odd stuff like archives just for a single clue.
watchdog49 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchdog49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2018 at 1:45pm
Hi guys, Felt compelled to add my two cents on the issue of reliability....FWIW. Although I've only been a forum member for a little while, over the past 25 years I have owned maybe 15 or 16 carbines. All except one have been UGSI, mostly postwar rebuilds but a few honest original examples as well. All were acquired at gun shows or via online auction. The commercial example was unreliable, so let's exclude that for now. Although I'm not a volume shooter of these guns, I am a shooter, not a collector, so I shot them all with a variety of good quality ammo -- including lately steel case. Not one of those rifles exhibited anything more than a very occasional failure which I attribute to a slightly light load, or a poorly seated bullet, or a flinch when firing, or whatever. Right now I have two shooter grade carbines which I take to the range pretty often and which work just fine. I have never replaced a single spring or other important functional part on either one. I clean the guns after every range session and I don't shoot reloads, just good factory stuff.

What I have experienced extremely often is that after buying a used gun and taking it down to inspect, clean, and lube it, I found a firearm that was absolutely filthy inside. Most looked like they had seldom, if ever, been maintained in any reasonable sense. I think you would be amazed at the number of general shooters who simply don't take the time to clean and lubricate their rifles. So when I hear the anecdotes of people commenting that the carbine is an unreliable firearm, it certainly is not supported by my personal experience, and I'm very inclined to write it off to one of the many possible factors other than the actual design and engineering of the gun.

I'm certainly not suggesting that any of this applies to you, just to the general notion that these guns have major reliability problems. Best of luck in getting yours running well.
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 6:13am
I had similar problems in a commercial carbine, turned out to be a combination of three things. 1. I had a worn mag well in the trigger housing, replaced housing. 2. I was using cheap ammo, and old GI surplus, started using name brand ammo. Finally I was getting closer, 3. I started using only USGI mags, now the guns shots with no more problems, ran 30 rounds through it none stop with out one hick-up.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 6:42am
Originally posted by watchdog49 watchdog49 wrote:

Hi guys, Felt compelled to add my two cents on the issue of reliability....FWIW. Although I've only been a forum member for a little while, over the past 25 years I have owned maybe 15 or 16 carbines. All except one have been UGSI[/IMG]

Watchdog, as a new owner of only one USGI carbine, I find your post very informative and confidence inspiring. I have a habit of taking meticulous and gentle care of all my firearms. So I am expecting good service from my carbine. Thank you.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2018 at 7:36pm
Well the effort of trying to meet some specific USGI carbine friends paid off significantly today when a new friend I've meet through these forums and I met up at a local WMA range this afternoon to shoot carbines, and a few other guns together.

Well since the last time I've posted in this thread, I've tried this rifle 3 more times, and every time out, 10-20% malfunction rate always due to the bolt not fully seating the new round.    

I figured after today if I saw my friends NPM carbine run great, I'd ask to borrow his bolt in a last ditch attempt to figure out this second carbine.   

Reason I wanted to do this was because after thinking it was based in the recoil spring, or commercial ammo aspects, I thought more about it and came to the conclusion that my extractor might be to stiff, or some other defect that's preventing it from seating over the rim.    

The spring it came with was broken at the bottom coil, and I replaced it with what was a "NOS USGI" replacement spring that felt stiffer but I figured it was close enough or that was what a new one should feel like.

So anyways, his carbine ran through three 30rd mags flawlessly (but his carbine was finally taken out of action due to his rear sight popping off), I replaced my bolt with his.....and loaded a new mag with 15rds on monarch, and boom my first full mag through a rifle that was flawless, as I normally only load 5 at a time for reliability testing.   I run one more full 15rd mag though it with his bolt, and again a flawless shot mag.   So that's 30rds that were free of my very specific problem. I couldn't go more than 5-10rds before after several hundred rounds without having my malfunction show up before the bolt swap.

So it's in the bolt....however is it the spring, or is it somehow the bolt? I really don't want to buy a new bolt for this carbine.    

I just got the preban Chicom AK in the middle, and it ran flawlessly. It's made in China in the 80's, surely I can get my American made USGI carbine to run reliably. The AR up top hasn't ever had a failure of any type after a few thousand rounds.   

I told my new carbine pal today that I'll always have an affinity for these special little rifles regardless of my thoughts on their design with respect to reliability.   That said, I could never trust these USGI carbines more than a mil spec AR, or Commie AK with my life, or those I care about.   
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2018 at 4:31am
We have a couple of things in common, we both have cats that look alike and appreciate firearms.Big smile Here is my cat Floyd with her new S&W 681. Every once-in-a-while we come across a gun that just doesn't work for us and figure the best thing to do is just move-on. I won't own a gun that doesn't shoot either...I either fix it, or get rid of it. I don't think you will have a problem selling that carbine, even with it's problem. It's a shame...I have spare parts, but no broken carbine to put them in.

Good Luck!

Post Reply Post Reply