Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

usgi barrel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 8:54pm
the top of barrel band with two spot welds:

on the inner side of the stock's upper handguard is the mark S-HB.
inside the sling well is the mark SH-B.
near the front end of the barrel channel inside the lower handguard is the mark H.

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 9:08pm
Still looks good to me.
JackP
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 9:42pm
Just a feeling, but I stop thinking that parts of the gun have been tweaked some, to what degree I can't tell from the limited pictures. I would like to see one more close-up picture of the back of the front sight at the point where it sits on the barrel. Thanks
bumppo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 10:00pm
I'll find out how it shoots tomorrow. 
thanks and rest assured this carbine will be looked after and not go into careless hands. 
I wish the government was as trustworthy as you people.
bumppo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 10:25pm
the back of the front sight:

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 10:52pm
I gotta say, you take the best pictures!
JackP
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 8:31am
Originally posted by bumppo bumppo wrote:

someone on YouTube suggested filling the whole barrel and gas cylinder with solvent and letting it soak like that overnight?

I would make that the very last of the last resorts. Hopefully someone else can confirm this as I can't find my reference, but somewhere I read not to leave solvent and excessive oil in the cylinder.  You have to get the cylinder "dried out".  
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 9:23am
First image of the sight said "fake" to me. Three things tell me it's not USGI.

The next pic made me question that, but when have you ever seen a Square S with visible milling on the sides? Now, deldriver once shared pics of a flip that looked perfectly aged but looked like an aged high quality fake from LS Supply. When you see it in person there's no question it was real USGI, because you didn't see the things that made me question it. Pics and seen in person makes a difference when you get to the 5% that aren't readily discernible (to me). A couple of other guys who post are surely better at those than I am.
I wouldn't buy that one based on the pics. Not at all. I'd want to see it in person to change my mind before paying.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 10:26am
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Hopefully someone else can confirm this as I can't find my reference, but somewhere I read not to leave solvent and excessive oil in the cylinder.  You have to get the cylinder "dried out".  

Actually page 16 of FM 23-7 dtd May 20 1942, says the opposite and recommends allowing oil to get into the gas port when cleaning after firing, 
"Saturate a patch in light preservative lubricating oil and push it through the bore, holding the rifle, top side up, so that some of the oil will flow into the gas port."
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 11:13am
I haven't had to do this a lot, but the few times I've had a frozen piston I capped the barrel, turned the the muzzle straight down and filled the barrel up from the breech with either CLP or Ballistol---has worked every time. BTW, I have one of the barrel caps seen on Bavarian carbines and put a rubber band around it to make sure I have no leaks. Sounds extreme, but in stubborn cases it works quite pretty well. I would recommend shooting it first to see if that breaks it loose since it's the easiest method. As far as the rifle itself goes, if it were mine, based on the dovetails showing the signs it does of sight removal, I would try and get my money back if possible. I'm not sure if it's the original barrel to that SP or not, it reminds me of an NPM barrel to some degree.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 11:35am
Looking at the front sight and muzzle it makes me think the front sight might have cocked when installed. If I were looking for an original carbine this would put me off.  I only commented on what I seen as  I am just looking to learn something and not trashing your carbine.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 12:04pm

anyone have comments about this?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

anyone have comments about this?

I did in my first reply, my thinking being the SP acceptance stamp didn't have a pointy flame lick, it was rounded. I'm sure if the flame is wrong then there's more too, I just didn't look any further.
bumppo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 1:08pm
update on how it shot this morning, using 110 gr fmj sellier & bellot ammo:
first 20 rounds: it shot consistently 2" high and 2" right at 25 yds., with three feed jams.
I shifted to the 50-yd target and the first round hit 3" high and 4" right.
I stopped at that point, because the 22nd cartridge was feed-jammed and the bolt slipped up and out of the receiver in my left hand while I was holding the slide back with my right and trying to shake out the jammed 'live' cartridge.

the rear sight is already all the way flush to the right end of the receiver's dovetail.

also, there are two small parallel cracks in the stock about 3/8" apart both shooting backwards from the tang of the recoil plate. at each round fired, the tiny chip of wood between these cracks popped up under my thumb, about 1/16". with only a little pressure each time, this wood popped back into place

Edited by New2brass - Aug 10 2020 at 3:59pm
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 1:22pm
If you are hitting to the right, you want to move the rear sight to the left.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
bumppo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 1:33pm
I heard "FORS" - Front Opposite Rear Same.
i.e., to correct point of impact, move the Front sight in the direction Opposite to the point of impact, or move the Rear sight in the Same direction as the point of impact.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 1:42pm
Think it through, don't just mindlessly recite something you heard or read.

You want to move the Rear sight in Same direction as the point of impact YOU WANT, not the point of impact YOU GOT

You want to move your point of impact left so move the rear sight LEFT
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 1:45pm
"FORS" that is opposite of the direction you want your impact to be for the front and the same as you want your impact to be for the rear. Shooting right you want to shoot left, move the rear sight in the same direction you want to shoot.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
bumppo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 2:02pm
i get it now.
I must be dyslexic due to panic.

would glue fix the whole problem of wood chipping up behind the recoil plate?
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 2:03pm
I would have a knowledgeable carbine owner  take a good look at it before i fired it again.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>