The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

uscarbinecal30m1.com website disappeared?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decksterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: uscarbinecal30m1.com website disappeared?
    Posted: May 09 2020 at 10:36am
I have also used the http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/  website many time for parts look-up and carbine serial number info and configuration data.  It has been an excellent resource for M1 Carbine info.

Yesterday the site stopped working.  I got either no response or the name may have been changed messages on my browser (Chrome).  Today I got the dreaded 404 Error.

Does anyone know what happened to this site?  Are you having that issue too?   

Thanks,
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 10:57am
no relation to us. Most of that information appeared to be copied out of an early version of the Reisch book. Unfortunately there was a bunch of incorrect information.
I dread the thought that someone swapped parts on an original carbine because that information led them to believe it was incorrect.
Decksterdog View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decksterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 11:11am
Yes, I understand that the sight is not related to this group or forum, but it did function as a quick reference source for me.  I have the Reisch book also.  I just thought it was a handy source while sitting at the computer browsing through auction sights and checking info.  Thanks for the reply.  
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 11:13am
It happens all the time and as Brian Quick posted on CMP, serial range is not nearly a defined enough reason to determine correctness of all parts usage. Don't use it to alter a Carbine. If you're building a Carbine from parts, that's different and understand that you probably will get it wrong somewhere.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 11:36am
One could often see that site used as source information all across the various forums. It’s gone and so is the temptation to rely in it. It was interesting reading, but science fiction novels are as well.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 11:47am
Wonder what Sam-T is going to use now to build his replicas.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 11:53am
Oh, don't forget that he was a Carbine Club member so probably has all the newletters.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 4:19pm
and before he was "asked to leave" he did make contributions.
It is unfortunate that people take advantage of others.
Best we can do going forward is not to dwell on the negatives and to keep a positive attitude while educating others about the few bad apples out there.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 6:37pm
In the instances of truth and facts, they can have a hard edge, which doesn't make it a negative. As long as I've been around I only learned this spring of Sam's participation in what was the Carbine Club. I've known of some of the other negative individuals in the hobby and their involvement. The hard edge I guess is that they got the knowledge by being involved.

All clubs have the same issues. From home owners associations to cars clubs to just any club, people get involved to farm/manipulate the situation for their own personal benefit. That's a universal observation we can map out. Every group you will ever watch will have those people.
mrorange View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 8:35pm
Helpful thread, I looked for it today and see this message:

USCarbineCal30M1.com is offline.

There are many in the M1 Garand collecting world who state this site has no value. Until that issue can be addressed, the site will remain offline.

Please consult the experts on the CMP Forums if you are looking for information related to M1 Carbines.

Thanks

Chris

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decksterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:07pm
M1 Garand??????
mrorange View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 12:43pm
Yeah, saw that too. Uh, odd.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 1:07pm
that website also had Garand pages and think maybe M1903
Evidently he has issues with Garand data as well.

Shame of it is with the correct data it would be a great tool. I also imagine a nightmare to code as carbines are not cut and dry
mrorange View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mrorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 1:20pm
If there is a will, there is a way. Here it is using the wayback machine.

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decksterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 1:55pm
Wow.... who knew?

Topper View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Topper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 4:48pm
Decksterdog hello W5USMC sent me a thread on the USCARBINECAL30M1.com data base.. I wish it was up still it really served a great purpose for me.. I do have the Craig Riesch book an never found any difference in the two. If you here any more on the shut down let know THANK's
Antqcoll
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 5:06pm
Topper, If I had a carbine that appeared to original and correct but found a piece or two out of place I would not use Reisch or that website to change anything! 

In theory the way the website generated parts based on a serial number was great, In reality it had serial ranges incorrect and at times show a part correct for all blocks or even for a specific block.

Think about that, what are the odds that there was a parts change that started or ended with a serial block?

Then think about all the carbines that people changed parts because they did not see their part listed as correct for the serial number?

Topper View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Topper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 5:24pm
New2Brass.. Thank you for that... I see your point. I am real new to the collection world an to this club site. I think just getting the main components right to start might be the way to go. Thank's again ! Will be asking questions again !!
Antqcoll
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 11:04pm
Came across the below thread from the CMP forums today, it will shed some light on the OPs original question.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 9:29am
I gathered demilled receiver info from the site but it's not really one I used for other resources.

The site needed a flashing text box advising against correcting any rifle or Carbine based on the info posted, because there are well known, docmented flaws regarding the layout of parts by serial number. That would solve a major complaint.

Post Reply Post Reply