Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unusual WRA flaming bomb discussed in CCNL 384

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unusual WRA flaming bomb discussed in CCNL 384
    Posted: Jun 07 2016 at 8:36pm
In CCNL 384 there was an article discussing a 5.6 Winchester with a flaming bomb stamp on the barrel that hadn't been seen before and if anyone found one like it to report it. I have come across an original looking 5.6 Winchester with the same unusual flaming bomb.This carbine was purchased through the NRA in 1963 and has been untouched since then. The serial number is close to the one discussed in the newsletter 384.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2016 at 8:31pm
There's a thread on CMP about that stamping but the pics of Dave's stamping are gone, unless someone has them saved and can post them in comparison to the one above.

Controversy starts at post 3.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=129179&highlight=questionable&page=5
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2016 at 10:30pm
I have some of Dave's pictures but since they aren't mine and aren't currently posted on the internet anywhere to hotlink, I don't feel right posting them here.
moneawon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moneawon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2016 at 10:42pm
Three or maybe 4 different types of barrel stamps in that thread.  The OP's looks different.  Plus the one with pics that were deleted.  Wouldn't most stamps be worn and not have sharp edges?
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2016 at 11:46pm
Dave's picture was published in CCNL 384 as the OP pointed out.

With carbines never say never! And i will also point to "collectors expect the unexpected"
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
DaveHH View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveHH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2016 at 3:38pm

Here is my carbine mark.
D
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2016 at 9:46pm
These are probably the only ones I have of mine.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2016 at 9:51pm
Is the bottom one larger than the others?  If so, is it from an early or late SN?
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2016 at 10:38pm
It's much larger and comes from a mid production with type II band and adjustable sight.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2016 at 10:57pm
Very nice.  First I've seen like it.
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2016 at 7:34am
Here is a picture of the barrel of my late Winchester 6568838.

Post Reply Post Reply