Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unusual marking on receiver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unusual marking on receiver
    Posted: Apr 01 2020 at 9:29am
While bidding on a Winchester carbine on Gunbroker (one I did not win), I noticed a strange asterisk above and to the left of the receiver marking.  Any explanations out there?  I know California has some weird rules on marking semi auto rifles.

U.S. Carbine
     Cal. .30 M1

Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2020 at 10:00am
I've seen very few of these over the years ( Underwood receivers mainly) but have generally thought of them as arsenal marks or inspection marks from original manufactures.
Praetorianseven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2020 at 10:14am
Could they be marks indicating the receiver didn't meet the standard and had to be re-worked?

Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2020 at 10:55am
That's certainly a possibility. The Underwood asterisk I've seen on their receivers looks more refined but similar.

Weird things happen when you produce over 6 million carbines; as I've said the possibilities are endless.
Praetorianseven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2020 at 11:32am
Thank you!

Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2020 at 11:04pm
I believe it to be  foreign proof marking.  British and Commonwealth put there markings there as well as the bolt and barrel
Many of the markings were crossed swords with letter and number in the 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2020 at 5:29am
Hard to tell in the picture, but based on the appearance and location of the marking, it looks like the opposing broad arrow British "Sale Permit" proof mark. Sometimes accompanied by other markings like a crown and the letters BNP.

The Underwood "asterix" marking has been observed on the front of the forward receiver trigger housing lug near the end of UW's 1st block. In addition to the location difference, its strike characteristcs are also different. It's meaning, as opposed to the OP's mark, is unknown.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2020 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Hard to tell in the picture, but based on the appearance and location of the marking, it looks like the opposing broad arrow British "Sale Permit" proof mark.

Agree with m1a1fan, it does look like the "Sale Permit" stamp pictured on page 1279 of WBIII, tried to get a better look at the marking from the auction listing but the other pictures are just too blurry. 
Here is what the seller said about the marking in the listing: 
"The text on the front of the receiver is marked with an asterisk. We believe this to be an indication that this particular receiver failed an initial mechanical test before leaving the factory and was then repaired. We believe it to be a factory marking but are not positive
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2020 at 8:54am
Don't have WB III, but appreciate the confirmation. Did not get a chance to see the auction, but the text description is very interesting. It sounds like they are trying to say it is an inspectors mark.

My understanding of an inspectors mark is something was checked and deemed good to go. If it wasn't, would the mark still be applied? If so and it was fixed, wouldn't another inspectors mark be applied?

Also, could this mark and the other British marking (crown over BNP) be applied with the carbine assembled? My guess would be no.

I'm asking since I don't know. Anyone know the details of how this process worked?
 Post Reply Post Reply