Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Universal Hialeah Florida S/N 92958

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal Hialeah Florida S/N 92958
    Posted: Jul 04 2022 at 5:16pm
All,
I am a first time poster on this forum. I have a M1 Carbine S/N 92958 and have had it since the late 1980's. It is apparently gold plated  (not knowing better I thought it was brass.) I had sent off to universal about any history they could provide, but no joy. Other than the Universal and Hialeah markings just forward on the rear site, and the serial number to the rear of the receiver,  there are no other markings at all. It has the adjustable sights for range with elevation and windage. I have probably fired less than 15 rounds though the weapon since, I bought it many years ago. It has a full wooden forestock, top and bottom and a gold covered butt plate.. The curved cocking lever is full metal (Gold) and not cut as some of the pictures in your history files show. Trying to find out what I have here. It does not seem to blend into serial number lists, I have seen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ron

Ron J. Msgt USMC Ret
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2022 at 5:48pm
92xxx puts it very near the transitional range from generation 1 to generation 2, which is a good thing to be inside generation 1 territory. Universal did manufacture carbines with various finishes, even a Teflon coated example. Your carbine will have some transitional components, such as a set-screw retained front sight and a box-shaped trigger housing, but should be a single-spring and compatible with a majority of USGI internals. The Palace Guard version used a different style barrel band arrangement. Not sure if you mentioned how your hand guard was retained or not.

These do turn-up on auction sites for sale on occasion. Generally built for looking at and not shooting a lot.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2022 at 6:31pm
There is one listed on gunpoker now bidding at $430 with a buy-it-now of $950.
JolleyRL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2022 at 9:05pm
Thank you very much, The forward fore stock is held by a gold band and the set screw is a standard black. The front sight is also black. The gold plating does go to the very edge of the barrel and a round leaving the weapon caused a minor chip, exposing a white substance beneath the gold plating. It has been mostly for show all these years. The furniture has some minor scratches simply due to moving time and again. I will be polishing them out, soon.
Ron J. Msgt USMC Ret
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2022 at 12:19am
Many of the Universal Firearms receivers with s/n 9000 and up were leftovers when they switched to their hybrid receivers. Sold as receivers only and built into carbines by owners using surplus GI parts and/or whatever parts were available at prices they could afford.

The gold plating was done by Universal on several of their models over time. But, the barrel and receiver were also gold plated. Universal didn't use them piecemeal so yours were added by an owner.

Jim
JolleyRL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2022 at 9:42am
Thank you
 The full barrel is gold plated and the retainer on the barrel is also gold plated and held in by a dark set screw. The bolt also appears to be standard dark metal, the trigger assembly is a square box type. Front sight appears to be normal color and held in by a set screw as well.

Thank you all very much. Semper Fi
Ron J. Msgt USMC Ret
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2022 at 10:50am
Here's a good example of a Universal that was gold plated. Serial number 88772

Is your receiver gold plated? Trigger housing? Is your stock a high gloss that tapers down to the round barrel band?

Some pics would help.

Jim
JolleyRL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2022 at 12:24pm
The weapon that I have is exactly the same as you have shown, I need to clean it well and then I will post pictures. It has spent most of its life in the gun safe, except for cleaning periods.

It is a beautiful weapon, and I am not sure I should ever fire it again. I fear damage to the gold plating at the barrel tip as the round exits. I remember the few Times I fired it, it was very fun and quite accurate.

I do not think there is any way to find the previous owner. Thanks again Ron
Ron J. Msgt USMC Ret
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2022 at 4:35am
Although a bunch of receivers with s/n 90,000 - 99,999 appear to have been sold as leftovers this wasn't all in this s/n block. With the details you've shared so far I'm pretty sure what you have is the following model shown in their 1967 catalog.

Jim
JolleyRL View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2022 at 8:08am
Everything appears to that with the exception, I do not have the gold magazines, I have what appears to be two standard dark blue. Thank you very much for the information. It is a very unique rifle.
Ron J. Msgt USMC Ret
 Post Reply Post Reply