The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underwood's "Extreme Cavitator" in .30 Carbine.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underwood's "Extreme Cavitator" in .30 Carbine.
    Posted: Sep 23 2016 at 8:23pm
I watched a gelatin test for the Underwood "Extreme Cavitator" ammunition. The "X" tipped, 85-grain copper ammunition travels at an extremely high rate of speed. This projectile appears to leave a permanent crush cavity that rivals, and often exceeds, those of most Jacketed Hollow Point bullets. They also penetrate deeply and do not deform at all.

These loads bear a great deal of research, but show great promise.
"Political correctness is fascism disguised as manners." - George Carlin

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final." - Wyatt Earp

Pandaz3 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pandaz3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2016 at 9:53pm
I did order 100 rounds when they first came out and have them, I need more reliable magazines, I knew that ProMag had problems in the past but thought the problems of the past would be gone or apparent only in the 30 or 15 round versions, but it is both.  I just ordered some Korean 15 and 30 round magazines.  I have a new manufactured Inland, I just bought it to shoot
Life Member NRA, DAV, VHPA
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2016 at 10:59pm
Were I you, I would buy a complete bolt assembly from Auto Ordnance and exchange if for the original Inland bolt assembly, immediately. The bolt specifications are identical and can be exchanged without problem or difficulty. The Auto Ordnance (AOM 130) has a bot that has been sufficiently hardened to provide you with good service at a reasonable cost. This should prevent premature parts failure when you need the "light rifle" the most.

Aim has some excellent 30-round (and 15 round) Korean magazines at reasonable prices. If you install an M2 magazine catch, you should be "good to go".

Good luck and may God bless. 

dchrys View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchrys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2016 at 9:36pm
I found some fairly decent 30 rnd magazines from "Keep Shooting" on their website. Here's what they have to say.
The M1 Carbine 30-Round Magazine is an all steel magazine designed for use with the M1 Carbine. These magazines are designed to fit, feed, and function in any M1 Carbine that is built to military specifications. We have designed these M1 Carbine magazines to perform as good as the military originals, including the utilization of a bolt stop magazine follower.
I was having feeding problems, but so far not with these.
dchrys View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchrys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2016 at 9:39pm
They also sell Pro Mags, but I think these are made in the US.
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2016 at 1:30am
Originally posted by dchrys dchrys wrote:

I found some fairly decent 30 rnd magazines from "Keep Shooting" on their website. Here's what they have to say.
The M1 Carbine 30-Round Magazine is an all steel magazine designed for use with the M1 Carbine. These magazines are designed to fit, feed, and function in any M1 Carbine that is built to military specifications. We have designed these M1 Carbine magazines to perform as good as the military originals, including the utilization of a bolt stop magazine follower.
I was having feeding problems, but so far not with these.

These are what I bought.

Pandaz3 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pandaz3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2016 at 11:54am
I  bought some ProMags earlier this year from GunMag Warehouse. I bought both fifteen and thirty round version and has trouble with all of them.  I ordered the Korean made magazines (Eight fifteen round and five thirty round magazines from the same place.  I got them two weeks ago, but haven't even opened the box yet.  I had a few Taiwan magazines earlier from Cheaper Than Dirt, they loaded fine, but I have not tried to shoot them.  I should have known the ProMags were bad as I had difficulty loading them, naturally they did not want to shoot.  I really wanted "Made in the USA" magazines, but they have to work!
Life Member NRA, DAV, VHPA
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 1:32pm
Hey Cpt, did you get to the Range with your new Carbine yet? How did it, Mags, and Ammo work out?

Retired Army, 22 years.
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 1:35pm
Not yet. I may not be able to get to the range for quite a while. (Don't ask me why, because it's a long drawn out story).

BTW, Hooray for the Trump victory). 

SeoulFood View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeoulFood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2016 at 8:03am

Speaking of a Trump victory, maybe we can get those carbines back from Korea now???

While the taste of victory is sweet, the amount of youth (my generation) that voted for Hillary really worries me.
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2016 at 1:48am
Seoulfood: These young heads that are filled with mush simply need to be informed. Sir Winston Churchill said it best:

"If you are young and you aren't Liberal, you have no heart. If you're old and you are Liberal you have no brain."

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2016 at 10:40am
Wanted to add my 2 cents. Perhaps in time the pot heads will come to realize Trump is the better choice. Lets hope he can get some of those M1s from the Koreans. It would probably effect the prices though.
God Bess America
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

thirtyround View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtyround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2016 at 11:05pm
Concerning 30rd magazines, the Korean Mags are the best thing going if not using USGI mags or FN manufactured, AYP marked mags. The feed lips measure at the proper width of 11mm, identical to USGI 15rd mags. The only issue is the magazine locking lugs on the back aren't heat treated and will show signs of decent wear if repeatedly in/out (a lot) of the weapon. The offset however is they are very affordable and obtaining more than a few wont break the bank. Some out there might enjoy success otherwise, but I do not recommend any other magazine other that above.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2018 at 3:26pm
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2018 at 4:34pm

The prosecution... rests.

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2018 at 4:53pm
Looks like a good hunting/Defense round.   Good to see you back with us Captain. 

Retired Army, 22 years.
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2018 at 5:01pm
Be nice to see a Shoot Out between the Underwood Extreme Cavitator, Hornidy Critical Defense, and Buffalo Bore JSP.  

Retired Army, 22 years.
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2018 at 8:47pm
Personally, this is the load I would bet my life on when "the feces impacts the rotating air motivator".

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2018 at 3:21pm
I rarely bite on these new ammo designs. The GI spec. FMJ is pretty effective and some guns can be picky eaters. I have one carbine that simply will not feed anything but a FMJ and I'm not going to start bending magazines, or grinding on feed ramps.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2018 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I rarely bite on these new ammo designs. The GI spec. FMJ is pretty effective and some guns can be picky eaters.

Agree, aside from a box or two of Cor-Bon DPX HP's and a couple of boxes of Jacketed soft points, that I keep on hand, I also like to stick with the FMJ. Just not a big fan of re-inventing the wheel.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>