Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underwood Carbine (S-code)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underwood Carbine (S-code)
    Posted: Nov 23 2019 at 2:40pm
I picked up a new Underwood carbine a few weeks back at a local gun show. The pictures show exactly the way I received it. Don't really want to clean the grease off until I run this through the forum here.
As you can see I've checked all parts and recorded them on the data sheet. All parts are correct and show very little wear if any. I do have one concern, the receiver looks like it's been sandblasted??? But if so that doesn't match up with every thing else. The bevel has an S stamped mark for United Shoe Machinery. So would this be consistent with their receivers? Enjoy the pictures and let me know what you all think. Gene
              PS Hope I can get the pictures uploaded here??

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7c6QCyUfY5uLHN727

Edited by gene of oregon - Nov 23 2019 at 8:06pm
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2019 at 3:36pm
That is a real nice looking S code. The tiger striped stock is a beauty. As for the receiver finish, I have an S code that has been through a rebuild but not refinished, as I recall the receiver finish looks rough as well.
gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2019 at 8:35pm
GotSnlB28
        Thanks for the reply about the receive. Makes me feel a little better about it! Gene
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2019 at 9:49am
IMHO it appears to be a restoration. You are correct, the receiver and barrel appear to be refinished. The bolt appears to be refinished as well. The rear sight is also suspect to be a reproduction.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2019 at 9:17pm
I agree with NewScotlander. My impression is restoration too. Rear sight certainly looks like a repro to me. Plus, if you look at the "scars" on the stock, many appear to be dings that have been steamed out. But I will admit, it does "look" nice.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply