Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underwood 1374865

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2020 at 3:29pm
This one is about 7k 3K away from the OP's receiver.
My T code doesn't have that type of staking. Wait, maybe mine is a B code instead. Check and it is a B code.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2020 at 11:34pm
My B code doesn’t have that type of staking also.
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2020 at 7:12am
Originally posted by kro1970 kro1970 wrote:

I have 1374699 only 166 before this one in like condition. I wonder if a shipment in this serial number range got side tracked and never issued .

Very nice rifle kro!  Yours is very close to being a twin of mine.  
Your firing pin looks the same, no markings, blued with what looks to be copper wash splotches.  My extractor is modified (type II) with no markings.

Someone asked about sight leaf...it is unmarked.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by kro1970 kro1970 wrote:

I have a 2358XXX T code with staking like that. It has an S base .U. leaf

Found my 2.39 T code. It isn't staked like that. It's chisel staked like an IBM. If you have one with crater type staking I'd expect it suspect. But have we seen this one?
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 7:40pm
The way the stake marks pinched the flip sight I don't find this suspect.

Edited by New2brass - Aug 31 2020 at 8:35pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 8:05pm
How's the front staking?
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 8:12pm
The third picture is the front
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 8:45pm
Ok that's the one on Milsurps. A few of us have discussed that one. Have you got a better pic? Honestly, it looks like there's a slight cavity under the base.
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 8:53pm
Sorry those are the only pictures I have right now.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 8:56pm
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 9:19pm
I made the picture larger

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 9:25pm
The milsurps pic is more revealing because it's not overhead. The overhead hides the cavity of the crater. The Milsurps one shows the crater profile is diff than the sight base strike.

kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 9:58pm
I'm going to dig it out when I get a chance and take more photos. I've looked at it with a loop before and the punch lines up with the dovetail and sight base. The is also no chisel marks on the dovetail
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 11:36pm
I don't believe that is "factory" staking; more like "someone" trying
to make are replaced sight look like it was originally there- JMHO.Thumbs Down
Don
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 8:45am
You can turn a pair of binoculars around to use as a microscope too. Pics can be taken that way, but
there's some lighter gray discoloration on the dovetail to the left of the flip from some material, and it looks like possibly its epoxy like from JB Weld. It almost looks like the chisel staking is printing through whatever substance the gray material is.

Take a look at the 2.37 on Milsurps in the link I posted above where the pic comes from. Note the staking is chisel on the rear of the dovetail. The receiver is refinished but the staking is still there. I'm not saying a T code in the 2.35 range wouldn't have point staking, but the small sample is looking like chisel might be the norm? Does anyone know?

Left arrow is the gray material. The right arrow points some of the additional strikes that appear inthe crater. Looks like a smaller punch impacted inside.

LS6man View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 8:56am
here is the staking on my 2.9 Underwood 

kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 1:00pm
I don't know for certain if the stake makes are factory but I do know for certain there is no JB Weld filled chisel marks. The shine is reflection from wear. If you look at the rear stake mark there is no chisel mark and no light area. I thought the sight may have been moved slightly to the left but the rear punch is undisturbed.   
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 3:00pm
I'm on the, I don't think that's factory train. In fact years back when I liked correcting anything that was interesting I had a mixer with very light adjustable staking and of course had a flip sight in the box that sorta matched. I installed it but the crater was under the base so I took a punch to it to indent the base like I'd seen on factory ones. It turned out identical to your T code and really didn't work well. One side worked ok. It's probably still here somewhere and I'll try to post pics when I find it.
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 5:16pm
I did research for the E guns by underwood several are round stake marks--I have 3-4 underwoods with the little round stake marks and one given as presentation to John Hancock with letters of JMH no serial--one of the underwood sight armorer guys used a pin punch to stake sights--round stake marks small are legit on underwoods
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by welbytwo welbytwo wrote:

I did research for the E guns by underwood several are round stake marks--I have 3-4 underwoods with the little round stake marks and one given as presentation to John Hancock with letters of JMH no serial--one of the underwood sight armorer guys used a pin punch to stake sights--round stake marks small are legit on underwoods

Well,
are the ones on the carbine in question "small" ?

Don
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>