Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

U.S.M.C. WWII M1 Carbine Nomenclature Inst

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S.M.C. WWII M1 Carbine Nomenclature Inst
    Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 10:01am
I'm not sure how many CC members have seen this filmstrip that I obtained, and scanned at 1200dpi into a pdf file. I've had it posted on my own M2 website since 2011, and it's had 4075 views as of today.I think if you have any interest in the M1 Carbine, you'll enjoy the filmstrip.

Here's my post from 2011:

I recently acquired 5 WWII era USMC filmstrips, one of which is "TFS-6," covering "Nomenclature of the U.S. Carbine, Caliber .30, M1." This filmstrip has existed for about 68 years, but I cannot find it documented anywhere, including in Larry Ruth's excellent books on the M1 Carbine. I don't believe the filmstrip has been seen by anyone recently. It has 33 frames, and I've made a watermarked pdf file of the filmstrip available for download here. The pdf has a white line through the middle of it, which seems to be a product of the software I used to convert it, and all frames are watermarked with my name, and the website name. I'm doing this because I don't want someone to just pick it up and start selling it as their own. I scanned each frame in at 1200 dpi.

The information in the filmstrip is fairly basic, but very cool, nonetheless. I found it interesting that the example sling used in the filmstrip was the early type with the "C" shaped end clips, and even the one pictured in the filmstrip is unraveling, which, I believe, was the reason for switching to the "D" shaped end clips.

Somewhere, someone may have a phonographic record with the sound for this filmstrip. I'm thinking maybe the National Archives, or maybe someone in the surplus business, or they may be in an attic or basement. Hopefully they didn't all end up in a landfill. It will be something to keep an eye out for, because it would be great to be able to mate the images with their sound again. In the meantime, I'm sure you can use your imagination.

I also completed digitizing a USMC Reising Submachine Gun filmstrip, which is posted on the Reising SMG Board on Machinegunboards.com, We all paid for the production of these filmstrips years ago, and I'm happy to make them available again. The other filmstrips I have, cover the "Care and Cleaning of the M1" Garand, "Replacing the Firing Pin - U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1," and "U.S" Anti-Personnel Mines." (I have not yet digitized the mine filmstrip)

Your thoughts on the content of the M1 Carbine filmstrip are appreciated. If you like this post, please click on the "Thanks" icon in the upper right hand corner.

Here is the filmstrip download link:

Filmstrip Link

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 11:24am
Thank you very much for this useful link!

Especially for non-native English speakers it is very helpful to have the technical term together with the picture of the item. I wish I would have had that little filmstrip some years ago.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 11:27am
You are very welcome. Feel free to download the content, and save it to your hard drive. It can also be printed.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 1:14pm
Thanks David. After viewing this film strip I went back to the various TM's and FM's to see if they used the same nomenclature, and they do...sort of. For example, FM23-7, Basic Field Manual uses "Stock Abutment", TM9-1276, Tech Manuals call it "Recoil Plate" or "Recoil Plate Seat" or "Recoil Plate Tang Seat" or just "Plate", depending on date of issue, model of carbine or specific illustrated figure number. So I guess I learned something new. I'll still call it a "Recoil Plate".

JackP
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Thanks David. After viewing this film strip I went back to the various TM's and FM's to see if they used the same nomenclature, and they do...sort of. For example, FM23-7, Basic Field Manual uses "Stock Abutment", TM9-1276, Tech Manuals call it "Recoil Plate" or "Recoil Plate Seat" or "Recoil Plate Tang Seat" or just "Plate", depending on date of issue, model of carbine or specific illustrated figure number. So I guess I learned something new. I'll still call it a "Recoil Plate".

JackP,

I assume for FM 23-7, you're referring to the May 20,1942 version?

BTW, the manuals and other paper items associated with the M1 Carbine are a key area of interest for me.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 2:54pm
Right David. 20 May, 1942 for the FM and 22 January, 1947 and 17 February, 1953 for the TM's. I haven't run across an earlier edition of the TM yet. I assume the FM is a "First Edition". I also have .jpg's of a couple of the layout drawings and detailed drawings of some of the carbine parts marked "Restricted." The title boxes have been redacted (no names or rev. info). I'd like to share if you're interested.
JackP
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 3:36pm
Thank You David...I really enjoyed it. I would love to show this to my nephew who's starting to get into M1 Carbines other than just shooting mine. He will enjoy this. Also Thanks for allowing us to download it so I can show him. I gave you a Thanks.
Frank

Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Right David. 20 May, 1942 for the FM and 22 January, 1947 and 17 February, 1953 for the TM's. I haven't run across an earlier edition of the TM yet. I assume the FM is a "First Edition". I also have .jpg's of a couple of the layout drawings and detailed drawings of some of the carbine parts marked "Restricted." The title boxes have been redacted (no names or rev. info). I'd like to share if you're interested.

jackp1028,

The earliest version of TM 9-1276 is dated 5 June 1943, and it superseded two TB's from 1942. (TB 23-7-1, and TB 23-7-2 from March and April 1942.)

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 5:10pm
Yeah, I knew that. Any chance any of those are available online? So far, I haven't had any luck finding them. I'm not really interested in paying for reprints on Ebay if I can get an electronic copy. What is the content of those Tech Bulletins?
JackP
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 5:16pm
JackP,

The early Technical Bulletins are similar to the later TM's.

I don't know of any available online.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 6:40pm
interesting that the flip sight in the pictures was on backwards.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by cali201 cali201 wrote:

interesting that the flip sight in the pictures was on backwards.

cali201,

Yes, the backward mounted flip sight appears in the filmstrip, as well as in one of the early TM's...

The confusion began almost at the weapon's inception...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply