Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type IV NPM slide marking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type IV NPM slide marking
    Posted: Mar 03 2018 at 2:30pm
I recently purchased a NPM slide, it is marked N 15 but also has the letter H stamped under the 15, is this possibly an inspector mark? My picture taking skills are not great but you can see the top portion of the H.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2018 at 8:38pm
Still looking to get some thoughts on this partial H stamped on this slide. Inspector mark???
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2018 at 10:05pm
Hmmm, it looks like a U to me.
will check what i have
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2018 at 9:04am
Dan,
Here is a different picture, I can only get the vertical lines to show up in the picture, the horizontal line is very light and I can only see it under a magnifying glass w/light.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2018 at 10:02pm

I found three N 15 slides. One Is N/15 in line with barrel. Other two are perpendicular like Wayne's. It appears spacing of the 1 and 5 are consistent  suggesting the 15 was one stamp and the N another.

I had one N13 and there was no consistency suggesting it was done with three separate stamps.

Looking at several other N8(9) slides I found none had inspector or any other marks.

The slide Wayne shows the H or whatever it is does not match the spacing of the 15 so not a double stamp in my opinion. If 13 was two stamps and considering how parallel the lines are I would not think it an 11, nor do I have a N11 to compare it to.

There are also UN slides but font and size are off and made by someone else (US&S?) so that rules them out as they had different numbers

As to the line making it an H. Was it in middle or more to bottom. Take a good look at curve to side wall for matching marks.

Could it have been one that was earlier and re-stamped? Do some have inspector marks? I do not know. Maybe others can take the time and check what they have.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

As to the line making it an H. Was it in middle or more to bottom. Take a good look at curve to side wall for matching marks.

Dan, the line that I think makes it an H is more to the bottom. The more I look at it with different lighting maybe it is an 11 with a scratch in the metal making it appear to be an H.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply