Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type III Recoilplate marked SC Maker?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type III Recoilplate marked SC Maker?
    Posted: Jan 27 2018 at 6:51pm
Trying to help out a member on the CMP who has a Type III Milled Recoilplate marked on the inner right edge SC

I'll assume since it's marked it's WWII era, since (most) parts made during that time were marked.
I've often wondered if they were made for 'extra' stocks made by Sprague&Carleton's metal supplier, but have no proof.

Any idea Gentlemen who this maker may have been ?
I currently see some of the same being offered on ebay, but the descriptions only list them as NOS.
Can you help me... help him?

Appreciate any help,
Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2018 at 12:37pm
Sprague & Carlton Inc was a furniture company in Keene New Hampshire that only produced 500-600 stocks a day for I.B.M. 
They also produced a very small quantity for Underwood.
Evidence suggests they also provided some spare stocks. 

Interestingly the stocks are marked in a different ways

With them being a small producer I am skeptical that they made metal parts for carbines.

Looking at SC marked parts we see S-C trigger and Magazine both made by Conn Tool for Sta Pro

Newsletter 354-12 reports of a SC marked hammer plunger marked SC and we have had numerous reports of the SC recoil plate you mention. Neither have ever been reported on an original carbine that I know of.

Now we have to keep in mind that just because one part has a specific marking that a different part with same marking may be from a different subcontractor.

If the part was a contracted spare then the SC might be the sub contractors initials.

Hopefully one day with ongoing research or a stumble upon from a club member may lead us to know exactly who made these parts.
Until then keep up the good reporting
 Post Reply Post Reply