The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type 5 Op-slide striking handguard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type 5 Op-slide striking handguard
    Posted: Oct 03 2021 at 7:59am
I recently replaced the flat-cut T4 slide on my shooter NPM with a T5 angle-cut. I immediately noticed that the forward tip of the slide seemed to be touching the rear of the handguard just right of center at the sighting groove. To be sure, I removed the barrel band, leaving the handguard in place with the slide stop engaged. When I released it into battery, it would thump the handguard forward 3/16th to a quarter inch. Is this common? The stock on this rifle is an RMC and although I can't find a stamp on the HG, it too, appears to be USGI. I guess my question is, should I just relieve the very small spot on the HG where it's being struck or should I file about 1/16" (or less) off the tip of the slide to alleviate this issue in the future with any other stock/handguard that may end up on it?

Thanks,
John
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2021 at 8:43am
If it’s unmarked, could very well be a commercial guard. The clearance between the front of the T5 slide and the back of the guard is tighter in most cases just due to the tapered shape of the slide at the front. I have one shooter that formed a dimple in the guard at that point. I just leave it alone and shoot it. Once the slight dimple formed and stopped, it wasn’t enough to hurt anything and it is a presumed commercial unmarked guard. If you think about it, the rear of the guard can’t overhang the receiver ring if it’s perpendicular to the tab. If it were an original or rare guard I might worry about it. If it just leaves a small dimple and doesn’t interfere with cycling or severely damage the guard….I’d just shoot it.

Back to what to adjust would depend on how much. Won’t hurt a thing to reshape the nose a bit on the slide, but you won’t be able to duplicate the finish. Flat worked, tapered was employed to alter the ejection pattern and has nothing to do with function, other than T5 and T6 slides had some changes made in the lug recess area to retard bolt opening.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2021 at 11:12am
I would check for clearance with an empty in the chamber. Remember, the case holds the bolt back a bit. As long as there is a tiny gap when the cartridge is chambered there is no problem.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2021 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

I would check for clearance with an empty in the chamber. Remember, the case holds the bolt back a bit. As long as there is a tiny gap when the cartridge is chambered there is no problem.

Good idea. Nose might not touch with a round chambered, or at least touch less.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2021 at 12:51pm
Don't really think a round in the chamber will have anything to do with how far the slide is moving forward. There is considerable forward movement of a slide well after the bolt is home, in other words the bolt lug and slide are no longer engaged at this point and the bolt is in no way holding the slide back.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2021 at 1:35pm
Thanks for all the input guys. My first inclination was to just shoot it as Roger said and let the slide dent out a happy spot on the HG and and move on. But after having the barrel band shoot loose (with screw tightened and no apparent issues) I wondered if the slide trying to knock the HG forward may be contributing to the band disengaging. I too, thought that possibly a chambered cartridge could be the difference in clearance but after trying it realized exactly what Wayne referenced: when pulling the slide back, it moves reward 1/4" to 3/8" in free play before the bolt is disturbed or moves. I think what I'll do is take a round sanding stick about half the dia. of a pencil and relieve the HG about 3/32" where it's contacted by the nose. I doubt anyone would notice but me and then I would know it's not trying to bang the guard forward. Thanks again for the replies.

John
 Post Reply Post Reply