Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toy Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote coyotejoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toy Carbine
    Posted: May 13 2016 at 4:54pm
New member here just reliving my childhood. I got my first carbine as a gift when I was about 5 or 6 years old. It was a wooden toy made from real surplus carbine stock and handguards. The trigger was a wooden six pointed star. By pulling the projecting star point it rotated the next point to push down a springy flap of wood which would then spring upward to slap against the stock with a loud crack. I kept it for years but don't remember what finally became of it. I think maybe my mother gave or threw it away while I was in the army with a real carbine. MY first asignment after 6 months of training was to Kagnew Station in Asmara, Ethiopia. My issue weapon, which I fired only for "familiarity" was a Rock-Ola M1 carbine. That was in 1963. Just wondering if anyone here has seen or knows anything about those toy carbines.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 5:06pm
newsletters 105, 204, 291, 337 talk about an "Official Army Reject" marked stock,  Stenciled in Gold or yellow paint if I recall correctly.
Something to the effect of what to do with all those leftover stocks? So they made the mechanism as you state and a dowel for the barrel/receiver.

A carbine collector piece now.

there is a thread here somewhere talking about it. Maybe someone can chime in, No access to Newsletters right now.
 BTW, Welcome to the forum!

David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 10:23pm
I know that I have a picture of one that I will find and post this weekend.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 10:54pm
I just found the photos. I don't recall exactly where I obtained these. Might have been on GB...

Here they are...

If you like this post, feel free to click on the "Thanks!" button in the upper right hand corner.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 12:09am

thanked, see upper right above Dave's post.

If anyone has Marlin firearms, a history of the guns and the company that made them by Brophy, then page 685 has information. Unfortunately google books omits that page.

I have seen yellow paint here on these forums. mention of gold. and here white.
Newsletter also states it has been seen without slingcut.

Anyone have a complete one for sale?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 6:54am
Have seen a BB Gun carbines at auction but passed. Shouldn't have.

Great pics Dave, Thanked.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 11:08am
New2Brass,

Thank you for the Brophy Marlin book reference. I have included a photo of the page you mentioned, which is used as a limited sample, for the purpose of review. Brophy published several well researched books in the 1980's. While I'm not a big Marlin fan, I have found his book on the subject to include several items like this that I did not originally think would be found in a Marlin book. I recommend purchasing this book, if you have any interest in Marlin Firearms, or if you just want to expand your firearm book collection.

While looking at this page, I ran across another page with information that will help me in a "significant writing project" that I have been woking on for over a year. Thanks again for pointing it out to me.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
coyotejoe View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coyotejoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 12:51pm
That is my first carbine, exactly as I remember it, thank you David. I had thought the upper portion, representing the receiver and upper handguard had been made from two original handguards, the rear one being turned backward but no, it was a purpose made piece of wood just like that pictured. Thanks again.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 1:11am
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/dummy-carbine_topic1373.html
another thread on this wonderful collectable
RONKIRK View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RONKIRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 2:41am
TED;
   YOU SAY YOU HAVE SEEN THE M-1 CARB. B.B. GUN @ A GUN SHOW. DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT THEY WERE ASKING FOR IT & WHAT CONDITION IT WAS IN.
                                                  RON KIRK
KIRK
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2016 at 3:58am

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2016 at 8:44pm
When I first started, there was an auction with a two really nice M1's and a Crosman M1 Carbine with a wood stock.    All I remember is it supposedly worked and VG+ condition. Bids quickly get to 700.  Had no idea about them and didn't even bid was focused on .30 carbines.  Remember thinking why would someone want that?  Now I know.  lol.  Buying all three (or at least adding the Crosman) would have been a bonus as I think it was from the same collection.

Originally posted by RONKIRK RONKIRK wrote:

TED;
   YOU SAY YOU HAVE SEEN THE M-1 CARB. B.B. GUN @ A GUN SHOW. DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT THEY WERE ASKING FOR IT & WHAT CONDITION IT WAS IN.
                                                  RON KIRK
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2016 at 11:38pm

Generally I haven't added all the airgun replicas ever made to the commercial carbine website. There are a few exceptions, the Crosman being one of them.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_crosman.html

Since so many were made their collector value isn't high. They can be had for $200-$250. They turn up on Gunbroker fairly often. Parts can be had on Ebay sometimes.

The magazines for them being harder to find, make sure it comes with a magazine as it can add $50 plus to the cost.

Jim
RONKIRK View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RONKIRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2016 at 1:35am
JIM , THANKS FOR THE INFO. I HAVE TWO OF THEM, ONE IS PRIMO W/MAGAZINE AS SHOWN IN THE PIC. YOU POSTED. THE OTHER ,NOT SO NICE W/OUT MAGAZINE & A BROKEN STOCK....THANKS AGAIN,RON KIRK
KIRK
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2016 at 8:40pm
A good friend of mine obtained a toy M1 Carbine recently that I want to share here on the board. What was funny was that I obtained an original WWII photo in which a soldier appears to have the same type of toy Carbine a day or so before my friend sent me photos of his new toy. This carbine has a star shaped clicker, like the Marlin and other example within this thread, but it also has a magazine, and a distinctive front sight.

Here is the photo of the WWII soldier with the toy M1 Carbine:

Here are some photos of the toy:

What do you think? I welcome your thoughts. My friend is convinced this is the same type of toy M1 Carbine. I think there are some minor differences, but I believe that the toys we have seen with the star shaped clicker may have had multiple versions.

BTW, the rear sling swivel is the same as what is on my early, commercial Reising Model 50 Submachine gun.

If you like this new information, please feel free to click the "Thanks!" button in the upper right hand corner.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 8:50pm
Pretty cool! Are these the difference you noted? Front sights look different. One light, one dark. One mag thinner than other. Also interested as slightly different angle.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 9:38pm
The front sight does appear different, possibly painted white in the period photograph. I will scan the original photo, and blow it up for detail when I get a chance. The magazine looks the same to me. I perceive some differences in the shape of the rifle, but it could just be the angle and lighting.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2016 at 7:51pm
Here is what Larry Ruth says about my friend's recently acquired toy carbine.

"This toy carbine was produced by the Paris-Dunn Mfg. Company in the late 1940s. These were from rejected carbine stocks fitted with a wooden receiver and barrel, with a modified carbine handguard. The ones I have seen have a simple blade front sight. Your carbine has a more complex front sight which may have been added by the owner, Is your barrel wooden, I can't tell from the photo."

It's interesting the he identified it as a Parris-Dunn manufactured toy. I have 3 of their M1903 Trainers from WWII. I'm surprised that the toy is not marked with their name.

Any thoughts on Mr. Ruth's assessment?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2016 at 5:15pm
Interesting. If it was produced in the late 1940's and the original photo is from WW2, how can that be? If the original photo is from WW2, then what is the soldier holding?

http://user.pa.net/~the.macs/PMTOYa.html
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2016 at 10:36am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Interesting. If it was produced in the late 1940's and the original photo is from WW2, how can that be? If the original photo is from WW2, then what is the soldier holding?

http://user.pa.net/~the.macs/PMTOYa.html

Agreed. I'm not yet fully convinced Mr. Ruth's assessment is correct, though I am grateful for the information, and he probably has something to substantiate his opinion. I lean toward there being a Marlin connection, but I could be wrong.

I also cannot say with 100% certainty that the photo is of WWII. It could just as well be of Korean War vintage.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>