The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member from VA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SomGui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member from VA
    Posted: Jun 20 2021 at 12:22am
Hi everyone! I am excited to be here to learn a lot about Carbines. When my Great Grandfather passed, I received his bayonet that he had during WW2, meant for a M1 Carbine. I'd love to have one one day for the sentimental value. Unfortunately he didn't talk about the war much, which is completely understandable. I would have loved to hear what he witnessed first hand, but I didn't want to bring up a traumatizing past. I'm just grateful to have gotten the bayonet. I look forward to learning from you all!
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2021 at 7:54am
Welcome from the BRPkwy..............
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2021 at 10:20am
Are the grips black plastic or stacked leather rings?
The name should be on the guard.

Some good reading on the M4 Bayonet

Start with bayo points 16, 17, 3, 4
SomGui View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SomGui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2021 at 5:17pm
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you -- your question made me do more research, as it doesn't have leather, instead black stippling, leading me to believe it's from the Korean war. It also has an acceptance stamp; the Eagle with the 3 stars above it. I guess my previous research told me it was for an m1 carbine and I assumed it was WW2 era. 

Other than that, the bayonet is marked U.S. M4 IMPERIAL, and has an M8A1 B.M. CO. Scabbard

Not the history that I believed it had, but still history none the less. 

Thanks for the question and getting me to dig deeper into it! I will definitely be doing the reading that you recommended
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2021 at 5:30pm
The eagle and stars is a DAS or the Department of Defense Acceptance Stamp

look at he top picture for two variations of the Imperial M4 markings

Does your M8A1 have a metal tip?
SomGui View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SomGui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2021 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

The eagle and stars is a DAS or the Department of Defense Acceptance Stamp

look at he top picture for two variations of the Imperial M4 markings

Does your M8A1 have a metal tip?

Bayonet is the bottom variant, and the tip of the M8A1 is not metal
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2021 at 8:55pm
Look also at the shape of the guard. WWII guards were narrow and parallel sided. Post War were wider and the sides tapered in at an angle to a rounded tip. Very distinct differences.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
SomGui View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SomGui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2021 at 9:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply