FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock maker who done it.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock maker who done it.
    Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 2:21pm
Not to drift the subject, but I once came across a handguard that had the metal clip nailed on much like the one pictured above. There was no evidence it had ever been riveted and it was a full 1/2-inch longer than the average GI guard. Had to be some commercial junk.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2019 at 2:01pm
Correction to the above info. That Carbine is CAI import marked. When I found this one below which is CAI marked I rechecked and both are imports.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 6:44pm
I checked anyway, but it doesn't have an import mark where many I returns are stamped. It has an import marked barrel.
I earled up the sling cut for better exposure.

Edited by tenOCEE - Aug 27 2019 at 9:58pm
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 3:31pm
The markings I replied about came on a Israeli CMP return, used by a MASH unit or the like.
There were no import markings.

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2019 at 10:16pm

I'll have to check the receiver closely for import marks.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2019 at 10:03pm
Years back a member had 2 odd looking markings on top of the Chamber. In time he was able to find the Hebrew symbols that stood for IIRC  a Inspection marked Year or something like that. Seems they were versions of Lamed and a Mem. But I don't know if they pertained to letters or numerals.

When I look at your sling well markings magnified it reminds me of Hebrew markings.
Of course I have no idea.... but if you want to kill some time you can look this link over.

Letters:

Numeral Values:

Basic Hebrew Alphabet:

Good Luck With That
Cheers,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 3:09pm
It's not a really cleanly centered relief area around the screw hole, perhaps? Sorta looks like a locator hole above, but nothing like a Win might have.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 2:42pm
Any extra holes under the butt plate?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 2:32pm
I didn't even see that in the pic. But it appears to be a 3 in a square? It resemebles the marking on the bottom o the stock which I was wondering if it's a number or an ampersand.

When I got it I assumed foreign. But it's completely an assumption based on the grain and sling cut markings.

Looks like a different number, I suppose?

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 2:09pm
last pic, is that a 5 in a diamond?

Either that wood was very wet as evidence of raised grain inside, or maybe foreign made?

the 16 is reminiscent of Winchester, but I am not seeing the typical profile.

I cannot make out the marking on the heel.
Interesting!
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 1:58pm
This came off of an early Grand Rapids Carbine with many original parts. Does anything look familiar as far as maker? The hand guard is a matching two rivet with a glancing mark that didn't leave any letter.

Stock is high wood with heavy type I mark from the Carbine it was taken off of. The butt plate has no overhang and the recoil and butt plate are marked. They're both finished as dark as the Carbine.

The number looks like 16 with the 1 jumping off the edge.

Post Reply Post Reply