Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking about "incorrect" parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking about "incorrect" parts
    Posted: Jan 30 2017 at 8:42pm
Guys, we've discussed this before, and I am probably guilty of trying to beat a dead horse by bringing the subject up again...but judging by the emails I get, many/most, maybe all forum members are busy trying to complete restoration projects with carbines. I'll admit that most of the fun is "in the hunt," but at today's prices for parts, the abundance of repro parts, and the rarity of many good parts, please don't let these collecting obsessions make you crazy and broke (or strain your marriage).

We must remember that the Carbine Industry Integration Committee (CIIC) transferred over 4 million parts among carbine manufacturers, to produce slightly over 6 million carbines during WWII. CIIC transfer records can be found in the book War Baby!, but these are only the documents that author Larry Ruth found at the National Archives. Not included are those records that the National Archives does not have. Over the course of 39 years, the Carbine Club found plenty of evidence of "non documented" transfers among carbine manufacturers, so bottom line: virtually anything is possible with carbines!

New collectors: Don't be in a hurry to switch "incorrect" parts on a carbine that otherwise appears to be factory-original, just because an author or a collector or someone on the internet told you it was "wrong." You very well may be messing with the true character/true history of that carbine.

I'm reminded of a few SG and S'G' Presentation carbines. Charles Runchey, GM of the S'G' plant in Grand Rapids brought home a carbine with an incorrect IN (National Postal Meter) safety. There are no CIIC records of any NPM safeties going to Grand Rapids, but it obviously happened. Should the current owner of that carbine - whoever he is - get on ebay and try to find an S'G' safety?!

At the Saginaw plant, two presentation carbines are known. One was owned by the "Gun Plant" Supervisor, John Helveston, and the other by the GM of Saginaw, William Doerfner. The former has an incorrect round-s flip sight, and the latter has an incorrect Inland mag catch and firing pin. There are no CIIC records of these transfers. Both carbines have highly-figured Q-RMC wood! Again, no records of Rock-Ola providing nice stocks to Saginaw, but it obviously happened! Via a phone call or a telegram?

The oddest thing about Mr. Doerfner's carbine is that the bolt is parkerized. What!? - you say! No way! Everyone knows that all bolts were blued/dulite during WWII....Well, Mr. Doerfner took this gun out of his cabinet and gave it to me. Should I change out any parts? :)

Always keep an open mind on carbine parts, guys. We have learned a lot over the decades of collecting, but we certainly haven't learned it all.

And don't forget "Never say Never, and Never say Always."

Good collecting!

Marty Black

Marty Black
gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2017 at 12:21am
Thanks Marty for the post. Posts like this keep reminding me to not change out questionable parts on a couple carbines I own. One is a Winchester all correct but the sear. A very easy part to change out and have been tempted especially when someone post a Winchester sear for sale. Thanks Again Gene
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2017 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Marty Black Marty Black wrote:

And don't forget "Never say Never, and Never say Always."

Marty Black

Amen!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2017 at 7:47am
I still consider myself a novice and early-on I arrived at the same conclusion almost immediately when I became interested in a USGI M1 carbine. Nobody will ever know how the gun was built when it rolled off the assembly line. After that....it's just hype.

Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2017 at 11:09am
Yeah, Gene....I wouldn't change out that sear, especially if you've got a late vintage Winchester. Looking at War Baby!, unknown quantities of "unspecified parts" were sent to Winchester by the Saginaw plant and Standard Products at an unknown date in 1944. And no doubt, there were more shipments that the National Archives doesn't have documentation on.

As the majority of carbine manufacturers (and their parts subcontractors) wound down production in the spring of 1944, we can be sure there was a lot of "horse trading" going on, to enable everyone to complete their amended contracts, while disposing of excess parts.

I'll admit to being surprised to learn, in Carbine Club Newsletter 361 (researched and written by Chris Albright), that in early 1944, Inland was using flip sights from the manufacturers that were shutting down: National Postal Meter, Rock-Ola, Quality Hardware, Underwood, and Saginaw (both plants). War Baby only documents records from National Postal Meter and Underwood.

When in doubt, don't change it out! Resist that strong temptation!

Regards, MB

Marty Black
manteo97 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manteo97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2017 at 1:16pm
My STD PRO presentation carbine, with no Serial Number (see CCNL 350), has a recoil plate marked "LN". This is an original carbine, and is in absolute mint condition. There is no record in the Carbine Industry Integration Committee documents of LN marked recoil plates being used by STD PRO.

So, as Marty says, parts were sent from one plant to another without documentation. It can easily be envisioned that the line would be shut down for the lack of some (small) part, and then a few crates of parts being put on a truck and driven overnight to the needy plant from one that had parts to spare. Seen this happen a few times in the automotive industry.

Ted
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2017 at 9:34pm
Keep in mind that record maintenance has a price, and also potential liability for companies. If there were no legal, or other compelling need to keep production documents, they were likely discarded, or destroyed. Any Carbine records associated with part transfers between manufacturers that still exist today probably were supplied to the government, for whatever reason, or they were kept by the company out of convenience, or possibly for historical purposes at their own discretion.

In the business where I work, we transfer parts between facilities all day long. We have at least a dozen employees who do this as more than 50% of their job. Electronic records, and the associated transportation paperwork is kept to a standardized schedule, and then shredded, relegated to tape archives, and eventually deleted.

I know of a company that exists today who was a major producer of small arms during WWII...About a dozen years ago, they threw out most of their old records kept since their inception. A friend of mine wishes he would have known, and been there to hand out $100 bills for their WWII documents. Some of the documents had been made available for research during the past several decades, but no doubt, valuable collector information was lost. The reason they were discarded was because a new CEO took charge, and he viewed the documents as potential liabilities, and they also took up a lot of space.

My point is we usually have a partial understanding of what was originally a much larger picture of standardized production processes and habits. It would be nice if we had all the records, but we don't. I think all collectors should understand this, and take it into account in their assessments. An understanding of manufacturing today can really help in analysis of production practices decades ago. Exceptions occur. Part shortages occur. Over-production occurs, sometimes at the whim of hourly associates, if they are not closely managed. Under production (not to established rates) occurs frequently, for myriad reasons, leading to aforementioned part shortages and exceptions. If we keep the driving force behind WWII production in mind, then the sharing of parts to improve overall Carbine output makes complete sense, particularly when paired with the interchangeability effort, and various part markings indicating their origin.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2017 at 11:04pm
It's important to remember though that most of these guns have been through at least once if not more than that. Obviously because of that it automatically becomes more difficult to tell how a carbine left the factory, but I think there are certain ways M1 carbines were being built at certain times during production that are generally accepted. In other words, there are general patterns some guns followed along with some anomalies of parts usage that have no paper trail, but were used nonetheless.

I think it would be interesting to know the logistics of how parts were moved from factory to factory back then. There was no interstate system yet and no UPS or Fed Ex overnight. Some of these companies were also not exactly right next door to each other QHMC and Rock-ola were so I wonder how they moved parts from one factory to another when longer distances were involved. I am sure trucks and rail travel had to be used, but it would be interesting to know the some basics of how they did it. Keep in mind that the M1 carbine was a major endeavor, but it was only one of many weapons systems produced during WWII

All of the possibilities is one of the thing that makes the carbine so interesting.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2017 at 7:42am
Why Carbines?,

My guess is that Railway Express Agency transported most of the parts. Just my $.02.

If the government micro-managed the movements, then anything is possible, but I would think that fiscal constraints would have still driven most transfers to the cheapest available carrier, which was probably REA at that time.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2017 at 7:45pm
Sound advice Marty. SOP for me is to check parts against trusted sources. Early on I might think about changing sometihing....Maybe if it was broken. Now, leave it as I find it..... Never know what documentation might show up.
 Post Reply Post Reply