The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thanks for the add to the forum. New to carbines!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMC454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanks for the add to the forum. New to carbines!
    Posted: Aug 02 2020 at 9:01am
thanks for the forum add! I’m new to carbines. Very familiar with garands but not carbines. With that said, I’ve looked around and am unable to find any real help. I just picked up an Inland M1 carbine. It has a 6-44 underwood barrel on it. The stock only has FAT 72 stamped on it. No others that I can see. The serial is 425,369. Can anyone help identify year of mfg? Thank you and god bless! 
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2020 at 9:24am
Welcome to the forum and carbine collecting!

FAT is an abbreviation for Fabbrica d'Armi Terni (Terni Arms Factory). It served as the main arsenal of Italy (Something like Springfield Armory in the US I would imagine). Along with the FAT marking is usually a number signifying when FAT inspected and/or refinished it and a star symbol.

At one time, I had an Italian FAT M1 Carbine. It had a beautiful IBM birch stock without a FAT stamping, came with CMP paperwork, wasn't import marked, in excellent condition and didn't cost a whole lot. The FAT marking was on top of the barrel near where it joins the receiver. Very small and hard to see. At the time, I was not happy with the seller. The marking is so small, not sure how anyone would spot it, especially a seller. Regaurdless, I'm still kicking myself for selling it to fund a carbine 'upgrade". Still have that one, at least.

Your serial number is about half way through Inland's first production block. Inland made their own barrels and it would have been dated. For production date, approximately in the 1st half of 1943. Barrel date also in the 1st half of 1943.

More on exports/imports

Nations who Received Military Assistance

Post War Ops

Edited by m1a1fan - Aug 02 2020 at 9:59am
GMC454 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMC454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2020 at 9:53am
so you’d say the carbines receiver was made anywhere between January of 43 to June of 43?

And the underwood barrel isn’t original correct? It’s an underwood 6-44. So I’m assuming that underwood is a totally different company in of itself? 

I forgot to mention that the rifle also has a rock ola trigger group. 
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2020 at 10:09am
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Other Inland carbines in the same serial number range are found with Inland barrels dated 5-1943 suggesting yours was produced in the June, 1943 time frame. The Underwood barrel is likely a replacement.
JackP
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2020 at 10:15am
That is correct. I'm sure others can provide the exact production timeframe for the reciver and barrel date from the Inland factory, but the barrel has been replaced, probably at the arsenal. Bet it has a great ME though.

Underwood also made M1 Carbines and supplied barrels to other M1 Carbine manufacturers.

The link above talks about the number of barrels they made, 1.7 million. Probably the most common barrel I see when looking for carbines. Inland and Winch a close second.

JMO, but everything Underwood made was of high quality. Not bad for a typewriter maker.

More on Underwood's role is barrel production here:
GMC454 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMC454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2020 at 11:44am
so the date of mfg is determined by the barrel date and not receiver serial? Sorry for the dumb question if it is, but I’m used to M1 Garands where you can pull up a serial number data sheet with the month and year just off the receiver. 

So if the serial number is 425,369 that doesn’t determine the mfg date? 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2020 at 11:54am
Serial number does determine the date to a degree. Early 43 in this case. Some barrels were dated which generally are a month or three earlier than when actually assembled and subsequently delivered.

There were 9 manufactures operating in 10 plants and each were assigned number blocks. There were no intentional duplication of serial numbers. 

Look over the serial number page http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/serialnumbers.html

Does your carbine have a detachable spring tube?

What color is the finish?
GMC454 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMC454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2020 at 1:44pm
I’ll post some pictures of it here shortly once I figure out how to do so. Stand by. 
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image