Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

T3 Hammer "H"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 Hammer "H"
    Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 8:56am
This is a parked T3 hammer. I can only discern an "H" and possibly some small stamp markings. I can't locate any reference to an "H" only stamped hammer. Could this one just be missing the "I". There is no room on the RH side of the H to add an I.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 9:24am
All of my H.I. hammers are marked upside down, meaning the I would be left of the H. My guess, just a light strike on the I, so light that it is missing. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 10:04am
That was my first thought as well. I believe UEF marked some T1 hammers with an H, but this is clearly a T3. There are some very small marks on either side of the lower legs on the H, but I think those are the corners of the punch and this letter is certainly not a double I.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 11:56am
Is it possible the die set was to far to the right and the I missed the hammer all to gather?
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 1:10pm
Nobody has suggested a post-war contractor, so I am sticking with calling it an Inland. Maybe just 1/2 Inland?Big smile

I found it in my stash and have no idea where I acquired it, probably in some parts lot. It goes bang in a carbine, so I suppose that's good 'nuff.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 1:16pm
Think if you look close you will see the partial I and yes, die was leaning to one side when struck. Image has been flipped for ease of view.

usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 1:23pm
Got a box full of miss marked hammers, triggers etc.. Probably a Hillerich Machine Co.
Glenn
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 3:40pm
@ Floyd, Underwood did not make/stamp those hammers. They received them from Inland, but Inland did dot stamp them. Hemphill made and stamped them.

The T3 Hammers marked H.I. are also made by Hemphill. Yes it seems they were all marked upside down.

These were recently discussed in another thread. I believe there are at lease 3 distinct markings. Some mistake them as TH as the periods around the serif I and being upside down give that illusion.

Many are marked partially. Sometimes you do not see the periods. I have one like above as well as one with just the I.

The I might be confused with those made by International silver with a partial I-I mark so you have to determine if a period or dash present. All of the I-I that I have observed are well stamped.                                                                                                                                                                   
 Post Reply Post Reply