The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swaping Slides Between Carbines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swaping Slides Between Carbines
    Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 6:25pm
Ok, here's the deal. I had Fulton Armory rebuild 2 USGI Inlands, a 43 and 44 production models. Part of the rebuild was new slides on both, a Type IV on the 44 and a Type V on the 43. On their sales site they only list M-1 and M-2 style slides, not types on the M-1's.

The issue is the 44 with the Type IV had my forehead zeroed, every 1/2 dozen rounds 1 would hit me square on the noggin .

I tested the 43 today no issues at all, since both have new extractors and springs I figure since the 43 is going to be a safe queen and the 44 see regular range trips I'd swap slides. Both were in "excellent" condition with only 200 rounds each since Fulton installed them.

Anyone see any issues. I figure the 43 is the heirloom gun anyway so my relatives can deal with sore foreheads when I'm gone    
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 6:30pm
I have had issues with slides, but it’s usually associated with the bolt as well, but none of mine are new. USGI slides are suppose to interchange backwards and forwards. You shouldn’t have a problem.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 7:06pm
Yes,
just switch them.
But I'll bet it is not the slide; but the ejector.
Both the IV and V slide have the same "projection" to eliminate or at least reduce 
the type problem you describe.

Check to see which type ejector is in each bolt, you can swap ejectors if the problem continues.

IIRC, there are four types of face "cuts" on the ejectors.
The condition of the extractor and spring may have some effect on the ejection pattern also.
Don
Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 7:47pm
 A friend of mine was having the same problem and the notch on the plunger wasn't seated correctly on the extractor. After we fixed that it has functioned fine.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2020 at 7:58pm
I'll check the extractor again when I test the slide swap
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 12:54pm
Ok, the slide swap did the trick, ran a quick 50 rounds through each and my forehead never saw a round.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2020 at 2:57pm
I have a '44 Inland shooter that had a somewhat worn looking type IV slide. It cycled well, but slung brass wide and rather far. I replaced the slide with a new Type V and was pleased with the brass landing in a much tighter pattern. It made chasing brass much easier in tall grass. The only variable was when I had the carbine disassembled I decided to also disassemble, clean and lube the bolt. I am unsure if that affected brass landing.
 Post Reply Post Reply