The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock Repair Screws

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock Repair Screws
    Posted: Mar 19 2021 at 5:46pm
Anyone looking for the brass stock repair screws? I found some on an auction site....10 for $18 free ship.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2021 at 5:51pm
I make my own a lot cheaper. I just get a thin brass rod and thread the entire length. I file a point then put it in a power drill. I drill a pilot hole in the stock then add glue to the hole. then run the rod in, I cut the rod near the wood then file it smooth to the wood. Done! And I have plenty of rod left over for the next repair.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2021 at 6:26pm
Yep, pins can be home-made. You don’t see these come-up that often. I just thought someone might want some for a collection or use.

Seller had four packages of 10 and has two left last time I checked.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2021 at 7:57pm
What auction site, Roger? I do know that Brownell's sells them.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2021 at 5:23am
Have to hold your nose and go to epay Wayne. Search “rifle stock repair screws”. 5/16 and 3/32. How does $1.80 each free ship compare to Brownell?

Edit: I just went over to Brownells and looked. A similar offering for 12 pins is $30 then I guess add shipping.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2021 at 8:01am
I've been using these rods for furniture repair for years. The trick is to determine the total depth of the hole you drilled and put a crimp in the all thread about 1/4 " or so less then that , run it in at an extremely slow speed and stop when the crimp is just below the surface and stop, Bend the all thread gently back and forth till it brakes off below the surface Fill hoe with matching wood filler. The repair becomes invisible.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2021 at 8:31am
that's a great tip Charles.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2021 at 10:13am
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

that's a great tip Charles.

I agree!

I have sunk small socket head set-screws to just below the surface and done the same, but I am sure the thread design on these afford a tighter grip.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2021 at 8:12am
I forgot to add, slightly sharpen the tip of the all thread.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply