Latest eNewsletter Release Available! Check the Newsworthy Items Section

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock Question
    Posted: Apr 15 2019 at 5:22pm
I just picked up a stock I was hoping I could get some information on.  It appears to be an un-issued high wood for a S'G' or later IP.  It's marked RSG in the sling well, has an internal ink stamp but no cartouche at all.  It does not appear to have ever been sanded or oiled.  The included recoil plate is a type 2 marked IP-W and it has a PM-IP butt plate.  A couple of photos are attached.  I know there are a lot of fakes out there and hope I didn't get burned too bad.  Your comments would be appreciated.  Thanks, George

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2019 at 6:09pm
Hi George, welcome to the forum. Any chance you could post a picture looking down at the recoil plate area?
JackP
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2019 at 6:11pm
It appears to have had the forearm taped to it at one time. Any marks on it?
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

GeorgeG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2019 at 6:41pm
I'd be happy to post another picture, but it would have to be next week as I'm out of town. There is some old hardened tape residue on the front that looks like it may have held a hand guard on at one time. The only markings are the RSG and an ink stamp in the channel. It looks like the last 3 digits are 320. There seems to be another in front but its totally illegible. 
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2019 at 6:47pm
The PM-IP seems a bit suspicious on the butt plate, think some of those came from the west coast but hope not.
GeorgeG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2019 at 7:05pm
I wish I took a photo of the butt plate. If it helps, the checkering pattern is the same as that in Craig Riesch's book. It also looks a little shop worn with a few hints of rust here and there. 
 Post Reply Post Reply