Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock Markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rdrner383 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock Markings
    Posted: Mar 01 2019 at 8:32am
Recent purchase from a gun store, owner bought several from an estate sale. He thought they were CMP guns but had not come across paperwork. Gun (Saginaw 327xxxx) looks to be in good shape and updated with a birch lower stock, handguard is walnut. There has a very faint cartouche on the left, unreadable appears sanded, SCB in the slingwell and a clear Standard prod. stamp on the leftside in front of the slingwell. My questions are why would the cartouche have been sanded, I think the stock was made for IBM based on SCB and what years did Stand. prod. rebuild these guns. Other updates are a rotary safety and a bayonet band which makes me think post war rebuild. I'm new to this and trying to learn and any comments would be appreciated.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2019 at 9:22am
A faint cartouche on the left? What kinda cartouche? The Standard Products rebuild stamp is on the left also, yes? No circular crossed canons on the right side at all?

A person can pay CMP $25 to check for release from them. They'll give some official reply but there may only be a 40-50 upside to doing that.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2019 at 10:18am
Good morning and welcome to the Collector's forum from New Mexico!

Does your stock have the M2 selector cutout? Sprague and Carlton Co. is known for making wartime birch stocks. Post war "potbelly" birch stocks are most likely made by Springfield Armory. It would be great if we could see some pictures.
JackP
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2019 at 11:33am
If it's SCB then it's an IBM one. Sounds like it has a Standard Products rebuild stamp too.

Oops, I guess I should have read it better. I thought there was a delete post feature?
Rdrner383 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rdrner383 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2019 at 1:37pm
The cartouche is on the right, I need to proof read better. There is not much detail other than a small circle and some protrusions that I'm assuming are the cannons. I took some pics but did not have any luck attaching them but I will work on that. Thanks
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2019 at 4:05pm
The IBM CC is small, maybe 3/8" in diameter. Often closer to the grip than the oiler slot.
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2019 at 7:46pm
rogerbock View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerbock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2019 at 2:13pm
I bought a 1943 IBM dated 1943. There is the number 23 stamped on the hand grip and I have not been able to find anything that references this. No need other marking anywhere on the stock. It is an arsenal weapon. Any Info will be greatly appreciated.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by rogerbock rogerbock wrote:

There is the number 23 stamped on the hand grip and I have not been able to find anything that references this.

The 23 is most likely a "rack" number from an armory that the carbine was once stored in.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2019 at 4:16pm
Welcome to the club to both of the new posters above.

Really enjoys IBM stocks, especially the ones made Sprague & Carleton Co. of Keene, NH for IBM. These stocks are my favorite. While we all would probably prefer a walnut RMC B I cut, they are much harder to find.

When I first started collecting, wasn't a big fan of birch stocks. Now, my ears perk up when I see or hear about one. Just fantastic character in the grain.

Any pictures of the sling well?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2019 at 8:23pm
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 9:42am
Originally posted by rogerbock rogerbock wrote:

I bought a 1943 IBM dated 1943. There is the number 23 stamped on the hand grip and I have not been able to find anything that references this. No need other marking anywhere on the stock. It is an arsenal weapon. Any Info will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Aboard!

I have a Rock-Ola with a replacement "Pot Belly" stock that was probably added during the post-war rebuild by Standard Products.  It also has some markings on the underside of the stock and handgrip.

As Wayne said, the "181" mark on the base of the handgrip is most likely a rack number.  The "BU | 1" marks remain a mystery.

Semper Fi, Bruce
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 9:50am
Far stretch thinking out loud:
B Unit
Barracks U
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Far stretch thinking out loud:
B Unit
Barracks U

I also was thinking along those lines, the B could be any thing, Beach Master, Base, Battalion, Brigade ect.. with the U being Unit 1. All just speculation.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 3:43pm
Dan/Wayne,

You guys missed your calling, you should have been forensic investigators!

It does make sense that it is some kind unit designation.  The next question is whether or not the carbine stayed in the USA, or was in some foreign country.  Since there are no import marks, nor Bavarian marks, I have to assume this carbine spent its post-war life in this country.

I wonder if CMP would have any history, since I bought it at a CMP auction last May?  Might be worth sending them an email.

Semper Fi, Bruce
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 5:29pm
Don't forget those that didn't have to be import marked prior to 1968. I have a late Rockola that I'm told was bought as an import in the earlier 1960s by the seller's father. He's keeping a look out for the paperwork. Hope he finds it.

I wonder what the percentage is of those that stayed home to those sent overseas?
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2019 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Don't forget those that didn't have to be import marked prior to 1968. I have a late Rockola that I'm told was bought as an import in the earlier 1960s by the seller's father. He's keeping a look out for the paperwork. Hope he finds it.

I wonder what the percentage is of those that stayed home to those sent overseas?

Hum...good point.  I forgot about the pre-1968 imports with no marks.

Semper Fi, Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply