Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Standard Products Rear Sight Staking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Standard Products Rear Sight Staking
    Posted: Sep 12 2017 at 10:59pm
I’m constantly learning about these objects of my obsessions. A flip sight with adjustable sight punch marks on the dovetail is most likely viewed as an attempt to restore the carbine by installing an original type 1 sight. If one is looking for a collectible, "original" carbine, punch marks on the receiver dovetail will probably make the looker go on to the next gun.

I recently picked up a 2.02 million Standard Products. The gun appears little used - metal is in excellent condition with almost all original finish and a ME of 0.   Components are right as rain for the maker and early serial number. But the receiver has punch marks beside the type 1 rear sight.

CC NL 366-3 says that type 1 rear sights on Standard Products carbine were either unstaked, staked with chisel type device, or staked with a center punch type device.   I've been told the location of the punch marks and their shallow depth indicate this carbine may be an example of the last method.

Post Reply Post Reply