Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stamp on Inland barrel rear bevel ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stamp on Inland barrel rear bevel ?
    Posted: Apr 30 2021 at 1:08pm
Stamp on rear bevel sort of resembles BI stamped over faint ordnance bomb. I searched CCNLs and Ruth. Did not find. 
Is undated inland barrel with some faint hieroglyphic stamps on the flat. Can't make them out.
Is anyone familiar with what this is?
Thanks

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
Taraw1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taraw1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2021 at 8:08pm
Per Old carbine club. this designated a bbl made in 7 or 8 1943.  most of these Have NO bbl date behind the Inland Mfg. Roll mark.   showed up in 444xxx serial range carbines, both regular and M1A1.
I really like carbines
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2021 at 10:47am
Thanks Taraw. Will make a note of that.
I see you just joined the Club. Welcome. You should find it enlightening. 
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2021 at 11:08am
Reed, Can you post some pictures of the barrel flat?
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2021 at 11:32am
sure.....stand by
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2021 at 1:09pm
Taraw1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taraw1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2021 at 1:26pm
bbl flat will be standard Inland inspectors stamps.  The 5 on the Knox form (top) bevel was listed in
earlier Com as indicating 7 or 8 1943.  Will try get Com #.
I really like carbines
Taraw1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taraw1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2021 at 3:50pm
    Com 356-6 shows Barrel dating per the knox form number /letter codes.   Same codes if bbl not dated by muzzle.
I really like carbines
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2021 at 8:54am
Taraw,
I have studied CCNL 356-6 and am a little confused about how this relates to my barrel stamp. Any clarification would be appreciated.
Thanks
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2021 at 11:36am
I believe Taraw meant to refer you to CCNL 346-6. There have been observed letters or numbers found on the top of the barrel breech on Inland made barrels  in certain ranges.
He may be seeing a number 5  which correlates to the date range of 7-8 1943 as well as some other numbers or letters.

So the question is if we are actually seeing a number 5? My initial assessment was the marking was B1. I have found no mention of BLC marking anywhere other than on the barrel flat. Therer are some BLC markings on the flat that look like B1 but believed to be a serif I that the dies had chipped

Taraw is well versed on the Inland barrels and did research on the BLC barrels that we reported on IN CCNL 339. In that newsletter we learn the BLC made barrels tend to have far less "Hieroglyphics" on the barrel flat than the Inland made barrels. From the pictures above we would have to look at some barrels in that range to see just how may hieroglyphics to expect. Later Inland barrels have so many it is difficult to tells some of them apart from over-stamping.

Additional pictures provided by Reed.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2310/IMG_4743.JPG

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2310/IMG_4745.JPG

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2310/IMG_4747.JPG

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2310/IMG_4748.JPG

I took the markings and arranged them in different orientations. What I thought was a B1 now looks to be a 61. The font looks smaller than any other marking I have observed on Inland barrels.
I also have not noted if these numbers and letters have the same orientation.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2310/BreechMarking.jpg

the bottom two makings above could look like a backward 2 or 5?
So what are we seeing?

As to the BLC barrels, there has been some oddities reported in CCNL 350 and 352
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2310/BLC_GM.jpg

Taraw1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taraw1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2021 at 12:09pm
Is that actually a number 61  ??  Italians did mark some barrels and receivers with date stamps.  Possibly stamped over a 3 or 5.  Possible repair date to go along with the FAT stamps seen on stocks.
I really like carbines
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2021 at 12:22pm
the Italian Inspection stamps on the barrel have been observed as FAT with a date.
If the above was the Italian marking I would think with as deep as it is stamped we would see at least a few letters. I am not really sure what it is at this point.

Edited by New2brass - Jun 20 2021 at 12:23pm
Taraw1943 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taraw1943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2021 at 2:53pm
had and Italian return several years ago with number/2 numbers on receiver flat in front of rear sight.  looked like Month/year. another seen with same on bbl knox form where this other mark is seen.
another puzzlement in the carbine world.......
I really like carbines
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2021 at 9:21pm
Thanks for all the inputs, guys. At this point, I am inclined to go along with the statement that Taraw 1943 made: "another puzzlement in the carbine world......." . Will probably never know for sure, but think we've hashed it out pretty thoroughly. I am ready to move on. 
FYI, the photo above of the B.L.C. barrel, 9-43 (CCNL 350) is on one of my Inlands. I was told many years ago that another just like it was discovered on another members M1A1 and tried to obtain it, but alas, unsuccessful. Never heard anything else about it. Another mystery. 
Again, thanks for your research and comments. 
 Post Reply Post Reply