Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spring tube markings QH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green grunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring tube markings QH
    Posted: Jun 03 2019 at 12:36pm
Looking over my QH M1 carbine , I looked and did not see any markings on my spring tube , saw tubes for sale on epay that are marked "Q" on the end... would that be correct for a 1st block 6-43 made carbine by QH , or is a unmarked correct ?

Semper Fi.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2019 at 12:51pm
I would guess that, since QHMC made only two parts for the M1 carbine (the spring tube receiver and the spring tube itself) and used the spring tube design from the very beginning throughout their production, that spring tubes marked "Q" would most likely be "correct".

However, there's probably no one alive today who might actually KNOW. When YOUR carbine came off the line and needed a spring tube, maybe QHMC's own supply was temporarily exhausted (there was a war going on) so they scrounged some tubes from another prime contractor, which weren't marked, and used one of those. Then that unmarked spring tube would be "correct", albeit "improper", for YOUR carbine.
green grunt View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green grunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2019 at 12:59pm
the one I have has 3 holes in it  

Semper Fi.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2019 at 1:03pm
Actually General Fireproofing Co made the spring tubes and then National Lock Co. was added to make the spring tubes.

Both marked and unmarked tubes were reported on original appearing QHMC carbines.
If you think you carbine is original I would leave it.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2019 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by green grunt green grunt wrote:

the one I have has 3 holes in it  ^

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2019 at 1:12pm
With either tube....nobody will ever be able to prove otherwise. People do replace components in carbines to make them correct. In the process, they very well could be removing parts that were installed on the carbine when it was born. Happens all the time.

If I ran across a QH marked tube for a good price I may purchase it, but I would not lose sleep over it.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2019 at 1:35pm
@green grunt. It's likely that your spring tube is the earlier type that once had a locating tab for the early Winchester and Rock-Ola receivers with the rectangular slide dismounting cutout in the receiver rail. The tab probably was removed in order for it to fit in a later spring tube receiver without the dismounting cutout. Here's a picture.

These spring tubes were unmarked. I have not seen "Q" marked spring tubes with this tab.
JackP
green grunt View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green grunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2019 at 2:40pm
Thanks for the help/info , if I find a nice Q marked tube I may pick one up , but like was said ... don't lose sleep over it.....it very well may be correct for this Rifle.
Semper Fi.
 Post Reply Post Reply