Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Club Requests and Member Submissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spotter’s Report: Underwood dated 9/42 barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spotter’s Report: Underwood dated 9/42 barrel
    Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 7:52pm
Attended the local gun show in Hickory, NC this weekend.  This show does not typically have a lot of WWII firearms, but this weekend was an exception.  Quite a few carbines this time, all priced very high.

One that caught my eye was an Underwood with s/n 288xxxx that was in very nice condition and all correct WWII form.  What blew me away was the 9/42 barrel.

I did a little research and conversed with Dan a bit, and it appears legit, though I could not discern whether it was original to the 288xxxx receiver or not.

Another Internet forum post I found from 2005 showed another carbine owner who was also stunned to have a 9/42 Underwood barrel on his 613xxxx receiver.  A responder to the OP of the 2005 post stated that he had an Underwood 9/42 dated barrel on his s/n 144xxxx.

So, legit original appearing extremely early 9/42 barrels on 1st block, 2nd block, and 4th block Underwoods. 

The top two photos are of the 288xxxx barrel and the bottom is from the 613xxxx.

Edited by New2brass - Jun 27 2021 at 8:49pm
Chad
USN Retired
wtmr View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtmr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 8:10pm
what is size of the P on the 288 AND LOCATION OF
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 8:30pm
It is the middle photo.  It is a larger P and you can see where it is.  Maybe 2 inches under the bomb stamp. 
Chad
USN Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image