Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

(SOLD)Tool Room #20 for sale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (SOLD)Tool Room #20 for sale
    Posted: May 27 2016 at 9:11am
For Sale: I have tool room model US M1 Carbine serial number  20 
 that I am interested in selling to a serious collector.  This carbine is the subject of a detailed description in Issue #173 , March 1 1991, of the Carbine Club newsletter. The club estimated the value in 2012 to be about 15k,I am seeking the best offer.  This carbine is in the Richard Wright collection who was a member and contributor to the Carbine Club.  Richard passed in January and I am his brother and the executor of his estate, P.J. Wright.

Edited by New2brass - Aug 08 2021 at 11:54am
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 11:05pm
Naturally, we would love to see some photos of this special Carbine here on the board, if possible. I will be at a meeting of the American Society of Arms Collectors in Chattanooga next weekend, and you never know who might be looking for something like this to add to their collection. Having the photos available online could help.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Wrdsmth View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wrdsmth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2016 at 10:07pm
Inland Tool Room #17 was sold recently - Here is the ad for that one: http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/51/lid/3621

IBM Tool Room #23 also recently changed hands - Here is the ad for that rifle:
http://www.icollector.com/Rare-Tool-Room-or-Preproduction-WWII-IBM-M1-Carbine_i9966908
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2016 at 11:02pm
Neither of the carbines which you link are tool room models.

Read the RIA auction carefully and you may figure what it really is.

IBM may have issues.......So I am not condemning yet......
Quiz time
Anyone have an opinion on the IBM?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2016 at 12:00am
Tool room 17 and 18 and a few other tool rooms were mentioned in a newsletter (can anyone cite newsletter?)
As PJ stated this one was  in CCNL 173

Miata Mike View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Miata Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2016 at 6:12am
Originally posted by Lupus Dei Lupus Dei wrote:

Quiz time

I'm going to guess it is the 10-43 dated barrel when reported production started in August?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2016 at 8:57am
An IBM tool room carbine making a trip to the UW arsenal?
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2016 at 7:44pm
I don't know if this is the case with this IBM carbine, but a number of prototypes, tool room and other historical pieces made their way onto assembly lines. Some eventually going through a rebuild operation.

Others, including the original two Winchester prototypes, were used as a platform for ongoing research. Some more than others.

And as usual, many have passed into the hands of owners who have no idea what they have. They just want an M1 Carbine.

A lot of possibilities.

I'm trying to remember if some of them also ended up as presentation carbines.

Which newsletter those two tool room carbines were in would be a question for Marty. Neither are in the indexes.
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2016 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Miata Mike Miata Mike wrote:

Originally posted by Lupus Dei Lupus Dei wrote:

Quiz time

I'm going to guess it is the 10-43 dated barrel when reported production started in August?

IBM received its contract in January 1943 and geared up for production. Clearly they were making parts before August 43 as we see dated barrels of 7-43 till 12-43 and after that undated. IBM however completed the first 5000 in August 43
IBM had a hand in revolutionizing barrel manufacturing, for more see War Baby 485.

So if the x43 was a tool room for IBM I would guess it would have an early barrel. Then again it could have been switched out. Next notice the front ring has been ground down. Most likely to remove makings. Why remove markings for a tool room? Shame it did not show the rear of receiver.
If it was a presentation carbine if would not have the stock which it now wears. If changed by the owner of the time they destroyed its history. 
It is however possible that it was a tool room receiver which was later pushed into service like Sleepless states.  Also notice the number is engraved not stamped. Bottom line I have no good feelings on that one.

The XC17 description is only partially correct. There may have been tool room models which were later made into presentation guns.  I do not believe the "XC" series were ever tool room models. Rather receivers which were pulled from production and made into presentation guns. Clearly the presence of a type two barrel band shows it was later in production when it was assembled.

We know Inland made prototypes 1-5 and Winchester 6-10.  11 through 99 are the tool room models with production for the troops starting at 100.
We have found 2 digit serial numbers that have been pressed into service at some point. this is evident with Inland 18 which is the most famous as it was in the early manuals. 18 is owned by a member and has seen action!

So this is why the tool room # 20 commands a premium, far greater then a "Presentation Gun"
It is also my understanding that #20 has been sold.

I will also say that there are fake presentations out there, so do your homework first!

Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2016 at 12:50am
I'm real big on evidence to back up any claims. For those who own them I hope they do a good job of keeping whatever documents they can lay hands on.

Jim
wmmwraghd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wmmwraghd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2016 at 7:29pm
New your brother well, spent many hours with him at the Houston Astrohall show.  Richard help me start collecting carbines in the very early eighties.  Richard was one of the old guard collectors that I had the honor of knowing.  To any advanced collectors out there Inland #20s the real deal. 
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image