Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soldered or Welded Carbine Magazines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soldered or Welded Carbine Magazines
    Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 5:04pm
I posted this photo in the Carbine Photo of the Day thread, but there were no comments made about the magazine. I think this could be a unique photo, as I do not recall seeing a vintage photo of a soldered or welded magazine.

I'm leaning toward the magazine being soldered, because I think it would be tricky to weld a Carbine magazine. In black and white, the joined magazine area certainly looks shiny, as I would expect soldering would.

So, has anyone ever seen another similar photo? Does anyone have a magazine like this?

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 5:38pm
Certainly doesn't facilitate shooting from prone. Has to be hard on a mag-catch too. 

I had first thought they were attached base-to-base and would be flipped, but it looks more like they are stacked. 
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 6:07pm
Five or six years ago I acquired an Inland that came with a pair of 30 round magazines soldered together, side by side. At the time I thought it was a pretty awkward setup. Not too practical for target shooting. I was able to separate them but they were badly corroded under a really ugly solder joint, possibly from the acid flux that was used. I cleaned the solder and corrosion off as best I could and hit them with a coat of semigloss black paint. I kept the one that looked the best (see below). I gave the uglier one away.

JackP
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 6:17pm
I wonder how well that straight homemade magazine would work given the tapered nature of the cartridge. I mean there's a real good reason why those 30 rounders were "bent".

I remember seeing a picture years ago (almost 10) where someone fused a bunch of 30 round magazines end to end to make a ridiculously long magazine but I can't locate it now
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 6:56pm
If I was unclear in my original post, this appears to be two 15 round magazines soldered together to make a higher capacity magazine.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 7:46pm
I've never seen any magazines soldered together in tandem like you described. I agree with Blackfish that they would likely be unreliable due to the tapered cartridges binding in the straight tube. I wonder what kind of spring was used in this application? Perhaps two springs also in tandem.
JackP
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 8:22pm
@David,
That's pretty interesting..
It surely looks Soldered and clearly a vintage photo.
I've never seen anything like it, at any time.
Makes you wonder about the spring???
Is it a 30rd mag spring? I don't think it is because There would be no reason to build it.
Some how some way I believe they must have joined 2- 15rd mag springs together to build it...
Maybe they were able to solder 2- 15rd springs together.. not sure how they joined them.
But gotta be 2- 15rd springs, otherwise they'd have just used a stock 30rd mag.

I see the carbine has a rear adj sight, 4 rivet hand guard but still has a early barrel band.
Maybe 30rd mags weren't quite available yet?

I'd give $20 just to see how it was made.
Chances are we'll never see another one.
I wouldn't have gave this one a chance of being seen or believed it was out there........
But there it is.

Again very interesting, Thanks for sharing it... Good Luck finding another !

Charlie-P777

ADD: @JP, Now see your post. I must have been typing my reply as you posted. Pardon my duplicate info.
Living Free because of those that serve.....
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 8:48pm
Thanks for your comments...

I did a 1200 dpi scan of the photo, and here is a closeup of the magazine. I do believe it was soldered.

Maybe two 15 rounder springs could be wired together, and then soldered? I wouldn't think the capacity would be 30, but maybe 25...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 9:37pm
A similar fusion to that pictured was actually tried during development of the 30 round carbine magazine. But the pictured magazine is not bent more than 2 degrees. And, without the hardened lugs which came later, likely didn't last too long either.

From "Design and Development of the U.S. Carbine Thirty-Round Magazine" by Frank Iannamico in Small Arms Review (August 2005)

Originally posted by <a href=http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1838 target=_blank rel=nofollow>www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1838</a> www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1838 wrote:

In December of 1944, U.S. Army Major Fargo submitted two modified carbine magazines to the Infantry Board. One of the magazines had a thirty-round capacity. This magazine was constructed by welding two standard fifteen-round carbine magazines together. Because of the carbine round’s slightly tapered case, the magazines were joined together at an eleven-degree angle.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 9:46pm
magazine like Dave's picture was found and reported by Marty Black in CCNL 203-2. Picture also shows the springs also soldered together.

Mag as mentioned by blackfish was reported in CCLN 254.

I think there were a few earlier reports as well.

Good stuff!
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2019 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

I've never seen any magazines soldered together in tandem like you described. I agree with Blackfish that they would likely be unreliable due to the tapered cartridges binding in the straight tube. I wonder what kind of spring was used in this application? Perhaps two springs also in tandem.

There are currently done versions in .308. Seems I read there are 5.56 too. I've seen the .308 in person and it was well done.
Dnikkor View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dnikkor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2019 at 2:31am
Ask and ye shall receive...from a CMP Forum post of mine from 2016.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=185044
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2019 at 7:34pm
Check out this after action report. It mentions "improvised" magazines.

http://s798.photobucket.com/user/karls42/slideshow/PDF%20TEST%20SHOT
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2023 at 5:22pm

Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

Check out this one on the right in this photo then.  Straight, but looks longer than standard.

direct to image

Here is a cropped and enlarged pic
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/Forum/uploads/3657/WeldedMag.jpg

Source Life Magazine
American soldiers resting alongside the road near the front lines during the Battle of the Bulge.
Date taken:December 1944
Photographer:John Florea
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2023 at 4:45pm
I had one of those soldered double mags decades ago! Just like the Marine in the initial post (David Albert) and the GI in the recent post (Matt_X and New2brass). I found it in a pile of old parts at a gun show. I wish I knew what I did with it!

I would've bet money that I did an article on it for the Carbine Club newsletter, but I cannot find it in the newsletter index...Well, hell! I know I took B&W photos of it, and I'll look for them...if only to prove that I'm not a complete idiot.

Regards, Marty Black
Marty Black
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2023 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

magazine like Dave's picture was found and reported by Marty Black in CCNL 203-2. Picture also shows the springs also soldered together.

Mag as mentioned by blackfish was reported in CCLN 254.

I think there were a few earlier reports as well.

Good stuff!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2023 at 6:42pm
Well, as incredible as it may sound, I found my pics of the soldered double mag! Pictures are very dark, unfortunately. The two mags were not perfectly aligned, so this contraption was a bit crooked. Well worn, rusty and tarnished, which led me to believe that this was a WWII GI mod, and not the product of some tinkerer in his garage. The top mag was marked circled IU and the bottom mag was UN.

I'll attempt to attach 6 photos. Regards, Marty Black

Ahh, shxx...Dan, why am I not seeing the paperclip icon to attach photos?
Marty Black
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2023 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Marty Black Marty Black wrote:

Ahh, shxx...Dan, why am I not seeing the paperclip icon to attach photos?

It is a tree Marty not a paperclip. Wink

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2023 at 7:12pm
Thanks Wayne! Here goes. I may need more than one reply to get all 6 photos in. Marty B

Marty Black
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2023 at 7:16pm
Here are the photos 4-6. Sorry about the awful shadows. I made these pics decades ago. mb

Marty Black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>