Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sling Removal Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srnotjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sling Removal Help
    Posted: Feb 23 2020 at 5:23pm
Hi All!
What is the trick in removing the sling/oiler? Its an Inland with looks to be an original sling and oiler in place. I can not figure out how to get them out of the stock. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Brian V. Cashin
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2020 at 5:35pm
One of those things a little hard to explain in words. Just google “M1 Carbine sling installation” and you can find a good youtube video. Norwich has a good one. If it was installed improperly, may be a bit difficult to remove. Depending on the stock and thickness of the sling, some go in with the tongue on the outside and some with the tongue facing the inside....toward the stock. Depends on how you have to thread it. If someone forced the tip in the way it did not want to go, it doesn’t want to come out.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2020 at 5:54pm
Welcome to the forum, see below video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVMx8g0pWFA
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2020 at 8:04pm

INSTALLING THE SLING

The following random notes are based on my experiences as a United States Air Force small arms marksmanship Instructor/Technician during the late 1950s and early 1960s when the US Cal. 30 Carbine was used for annual marksmanship training and qualification firing by all enlisted personnel.

Important Safety Note: Remove the magazine if present, retract and secure the operating slide and visually check the chamber of the carbine to be sure it is empty before starting sling installation or removal.

Early issue slings were made of relatively thin khaki colored (some variance in shades) webbing with "C" shaped metal tips. Later issued slings were made of somewhat thicker olive drab colored (again with some variance in shades) webbing with similar metal tips.

Lay out the sling and oiler.

Thread sling tip through the oiler slot and pull length of sling through.

Turn Carbine over

Position oiler as shown so that the threaded cap will be at the top position when the
carbine is right side up and and press it into place -- the fit will be snug but not tight.

Pull the sling over the oiler and thread the metal tip through the oiler slot at the rear - it should not require much effort - the early thin khaki sling should thread through easily - the later thick olive drab sling may require a little wriggling but still should thread through without undue force. If the sling cannot be threaded through with a little wriggling, STOP! - do not use a screwdriver or similar tool to force the metal tip through.

Turn Carbine back over

Pull the sling all the way through to take up excess slack.

Thread the metal sling tip through the
sling buckle and pull the sling through securing it at the desired position.

Thread the metal tip of the sling button snap assembly through the
Carbine upper sling swivel and secure it in place as shown.

Sling installed in accordance with FM 23-7/AFM 50-4. The button snap and
adjusting buckle are readily accessible on the outside away from the stock.

REMOVING THE SLING

Unsnap the sling button and leave the sling unattached at this point as shown.

Pull the sling through the buckle and let it hang loose.

Turn Carbine over

Push up sling from underneath to make a loop as shown.

Pull the rear part of the loop up through the oiler slot to free the sling from the carbine.

If the sling sticks and cannot be withdrawn easily -- STOP! Do not use pliers, vice grips, screwdrivers, etc. (or remove wood from the oiler slot) in an attempt to pull the sling through -- you may badly damage or permanently disfigure the stock. The oiler slot is indeed narrow, but the sling should withdraw easily if you position a finger on each side of the oiler as shown and PRESS DOWN until the oiler rests against the bottom of the well and hold it there until the sling is pulled through and clear. If you don't do this, the oiler will ride up with the sling jamming it against the rear of the slot. In that case the harder you pull on the sling the tighter it will become stuck. This situation most often occurs with the thicker olive drab sling and reproduction slings.

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 7:19am
Is there a “correct” method? The above method posted by Jamesicus results in the tip and slack facing outward. Some sling and stock combinations will allow threading so the tip and slack face inward, toward the stock. I have some thick slings that will only thread as shown above and some thinner slings that will thread either way and I’ve seen slings mounted either way.

In reality, it doesn’t matter I guess. I feel like splitting hairs this morning. 
srnotjr View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srnotjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 7:20am
Thanks to All!!
Success!!
Brian
Brian V. Cashin
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 8:30am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Welcome to the forum, see below video.

This YOUTUBE demo is entirely wrong, the end of the sling should be inserted so it comes out on top, not under the sling, as demonstrate below.
I contacted the author of his misinformation and he thanked me but never corrected it
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 8:50am
Some sling and stock combinations simply won’t thread the way it’s shown in the captioned video. They have to be installed with the tip and slack on the outside. The thinner post-war and Vietnam era slings seem to work either way. My experience with parade or other thick slings will only thread one way, with the tip and slack on the outside.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 10:33am
@ Charles, 
Both Jamesicus and Norwhich93 are both military men and I thank them for their service.
The thing with military experiences it may vary. Just because someone did something one way or the other may not necessarily make one or the other correct.

Sometimes a way was done was not "by the book" or many times it is not spelled out "by the book".

Case in point is people who served go on how they used BLO even though it is well documented the RLO or china-wood oil is only to be used "by the book"

With that said TB 23-7-1 stated that the sling is to be inserted to the rear of the oiler and threaded around the oiler. Just as Norwhich93 shows in his video.

ROTCM 145-30 shows the sling mounted with the snap end around the oiler. In another illistration it shows the sling with the running end to the stock.

Other manuals show as Jamesicus displayed. A quick look at other manuals I did not find specifications on what is correct. If someone can find this information please post.

However PS Monthly Magazine, An Ordnance publication,  Did point out to put the running end out so as to not gouge the stock.  Note how it says "sling pointed in may look neater" I am sure many companies pointed the sling inward for a clean appearance. 
Which way is the sling on the bent carbine below?

The Oiler direction was widely questioned over the years. The only reference I have found was published in PS Preventive Maintenance magazine. ( will have to look up date)

Information there on flattening the sling tip to aid in sling installation or removal. 

Another interesting tidbit is that one of the manuals points out that the sling is only used for carrying.
will have to dig into the marksmanship manuals to see what they say.

At James, Considering the above would you consider doing another post in the maintenance section that could be made a sticky?

Edited by New2brass - Feb 24 2020 at 11:04am
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 10:51am
New2Brass,
According to my copy of FM 23-7 published for the Department of the Army Field Manual,the end of the sling should end up on the outside of the sling so as not to have the D clip against the stock where it could dent the wood. I take that as a given.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

This YOUTUBE demo is entirely wrong, the end of the sling should be inserted so it comes out on top, not under the sling, as demonstrate below.
I contacted the author of his misinformation and he thanked me but never corrected it

I agree with you Charles, running end should be on the outside. But it is still a case of "Green side out, Brown side out" Much easier to adjust with the running end out, but a much neater military appearance with the running end on the inside.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 11:34am
@ charles, Can you provide which year and page number.
I am having trouble finding that.

Again, what I did find (above) was PS monthly stating tip out.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 11:47am
This is all my FM 23-7 says:
Page 11-12 f. Sling and oiler (and lower sling swivel).-Attach lower loop of the sling to the oiler. Replace the oiler in its recess in the stock. Attach upper end of the sling to the upper sling swivel.

FM 23-7 dtd May 1942
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 11:48am
January 1952. Page 3 Figure 1
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 12:29pm
I've been a bit curious about this over the years so I did a just a few minutes of research and noticed that in the period pictures I saw it was done both ways with the tab under seeming to be slightly more prevalent. Now someone else could look at different pictures and find the exact opposite is true so that wouldn't surprise me at all. The only thing about the tab under is that it's harder to adjust if needed, but in my opinion it looks neater than the tab on top method. I would say it's more of personal taste thing.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 12:40pm
OK, That is a picture, I do not see where it states which way it goes unless I am missing something.

The ROTCM 145-30, published by the Department of the Army, 1954 and 1958 both show pictures contrary as well as the same as the TM 27-7 1944 and 1952. Does that mean any of the three ways is correct?

The point being is I do not think there was a correct way until the 50s when PS Magazine (Postscript to technical manuals) stated which way it went. And this was not a function item, rather to not mar the stocks. Guess this is when someone started realizing they would soon be very collectible! Shocked

Same goes for the oiler, I do not believe there was a correct way until printed in PS magazine, which was, well, either way! Maybe earlier it was to be cap down to keep the leather gasket from drying out. Dunno till we can find it published.

Now of interest (to me anyway) take a few different stocks and put just the oiler in place. Now look at the front and rear. Which end is longer and wider and looks like it would be easier to get the tip out?
Now take a sling and play with wrapping both ways. Is one easier than the other?

I do not know if it is a coincidence or a design feature. 

Final note, It is a known issue with slings that  the thicker webbing created issues getting them on and off the carbine. 
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 12:57pm
 By way of example, following is an excellent depiction of the sling installation that accompanied the Marine Corps Schools (Quantico, Virginia, 1945) course of instruction for the U.S. Carbine, Cal. .30, M1 that shows the button snap and adjusting buckle readily accessible on the outside away from the stock.

I do not think the US Military ever published step by step instructions for the sling installation. I personally think either way is OK.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 1:00pm
While we are beating this dead horse,
I find it much easier to attach the sling as described in the video.

When I read what the PS Magazine says, I assume they are talking about the snap end of the sling as it even shows a picture and says fore grip section.

Figure 2 of TB 23-7-1 dtd Mar 17 42 shows a picture of the running end on the outside.

Figure 2 of the CMP Reprinted TB 23-7-1 shows a picture of the running end on the inside.

In reality not sure how much damage a C or D tip can really do to a stock especially when compared to how much crap the stock would be rubbing up against on the soldier or Marines belt when actually carried at sling arms.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

…………… PS Monthly Magazine, An Ordnance publication,  Did point out to put the running end out so as to not gouge the stock.  Note how it says "sling pointed in may look neater" I am sure many companies pointed the sling inward for a clean appearance. 
Which way is the sling on the bent carbine below?

The Oiler direction was widely questioned over the years. The only reference I have found was published in PS Preventive Maintenance magazine. ( will have to look up date)

All great stuff - I really like that publication

Quote …………… http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/ps-magazine-the-preventive-maintenance-monthly_topic2826.html

Information there on flattening the sling tip to aid in sling installation or removal. 

I meant to include that excellent information in my post - thanks.

Quote …………… Another interesting tidbit is that one of the manuals points out that the sling is only used for carrying ……………
That also.

Quote …………… At James, Considering the above would you consider doing another post in the maintenance section that could be made a sticky?
Yes, although I am going through somewhat of a medical rough spot at present involving a lot of Doctor visits and therefore I maybe a little slow with the contribution  - it really isn’t a lot of fun being 90 - growing old is not for sissies!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2020 at 2:01pm
I am rather amused at the fact there are instructions on how to fix this with a hammer. OK I guess back when they were giving them away, but who here is ready to whip-out the the old 3-pound ball-peen and adjust that valuable WWII original?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>