Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slide Stop Clarification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slide Stop Clarification
    Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 4:16pm
I understand there was a very early slide-stop system. The web pages only list the two familiar ones...one with the uniform barrel and short spring and then the one with the slotted barrel and longer spring, which was the last version.

I see these called type 1 and type 2 respectfully...most of the time. I have seen them called type 2 and type 3. Should these two stop versions actually be called type 2 and type 3 respectfully.

It makes a difference in terms of a "correct" carbine.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 4:42pm
the preproduction slides had a pin holding in the stop.
The data sheet only shows the two version you mention. I refer to them as early and late

The problem with "Types" is whose system is being used? If you look at the data sheets we use pictures to avoid this issue when possible.

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

the preproduction slides had a pin holding in the stop.
The data sheet only shows the two version you mention. I refer to them as early and late

Yep...I have heard early and late used. I see stops for sale on auction sites that have pictured and referred to the “early” versions as type 2.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 5:06pm
How about a trigger housing with the Hammer Block?
Since it was Never adopted...... less I have to keep track of.
A good thing.

Be safe all,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 5:35pm
I need to add that from some sources (one untrusted), I see the stops listed as 2 or 3. The 3 showing up in later serial numbers. Never a mention of a 1.

Maybe since it did not live to see production, like Charlie’s hammer-block, we don’t need to be concerned with it. However, if one wants to dot the I’s and cross the T’s in the world collecting, it might be of interest. Obviously some manufactures started early enough and hung around late enough to have used both versions.
 Post Reply Post Reply