Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sharing my War Baby. Pic heavy.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sharing my War Baby. Pic heavy.
    Posted: Aug 12 2016 at 2:12pm
Am new to the M1 line having been blessed by family friends with an M1A1 Carbine.  After posting the pics to several forums and thanks to the expert opinions offered, I am pretty sure I have a legitimate example.

I had never owned a vintage firearm before this was offered to me.  I had no idea what it was and from my limited knowledge it looked like an old war relic that could blow up in my face.  I checked the serial number against the one on the buttplate and they didn't match so I didn't think it was original.  Lack of knowledge is a terrible thing.  I didn't know any better.  Didn't really want it but the family friends needed money to move to California where they could not have it.  I thought the folding stock was cool and hoped it would at least make a good "beater" to plink with at the range, plus the asking price was insanely low.  I ponied up to help them with the move.

After I got it home I researched, then disassembled and checked parts markings out of curiosity not expecting much.  My excitement grew as every part checked out, one by one a rush at every step.  Markings missed by my eyes were revealed later in the pics.  I kept expecting to find something that didn't match, something replaced.  Didn't happen.  Still in shock.

Lots of pics, grab a cold one and get comfortable.

Was told these are 70's 30 rnd mags.  Have some legit ones on the way.

Anyone notice the sling was initially on backwards?

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2016 at 9:34pm
Great pics!

Serial number and butt plate numbers are not related.. More info under butt plate section here:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/modelM1A1.html

No worries about not knowing...yet. Everybody starts out the same way. And the first step is asking others and researching. Fun ins't it? BTW, that's the first step in a carbine addiction. If possible, try to capture the history. Not always possible, but a nice little bonus if the provenance can be documented especially since you know the seller. The addition usually becomes official after buying a bolt tool.
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2016 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Great pics!

Serial number and butt plate numbers are not related.. More info under butt plate section here:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/modelM1A1.html

No worries about not knowing...yet. Everybody starts out the same way. And the first step is asking others and researching. Fun ins't it? BTW, that's the first step in a carbine addiction. If possible, try to capture the history. Not always possible, but a nice little bonus if the provenance can be documented especially since you know the seller. The addition usually becomes official after buying a bolt tool.

Thanks.  The buttplate number check when I first saw it shows how little I knew then.  I've been swimming in info since.  It is a huge amount of fun and the history is interesting.  Just received War Baby vol 1, a treasure trove of info.

I wish I could get to the bottom of the family history on this but the owner had a stroke and already had alzheimer's so he can't help.  The family is asking other family members if anyone can remember anything but it doesn't look good.  It sat in a closet for decades and wasn't a big topic of discussion.  All they can tell me for sure is that it was owned by 2 brothers and in their family since the 40's.  Still digging though.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2016 at 12:24am
Sweet ride!
Hammer pics?
Pics of barrel flat please.
Those are not horse pills in med bottle!
Marks on oilers?

Clearly a candidate for a data sheet!

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/carbine-club-data-sheets_topic26.html
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2016 at 1:13am
Very nice!!
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2016 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Sweet ride!
Hammer pics?
Pics of barrel flat please.
Those are not horse pills in med bottle!
Marks on oilers?

Clearly a candidate for a data sheet!

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/carbine-club-data-sheets_topic26.html

Barrel Flat.  Where is that?  Is that it shown in the pic above with all the hieroglyphic stamps on it?
Hammer pic is hard to see but there is an HI stamp on the side you can see (barely) if you blow it up.
Oilers (6) are all stamped IS in a circle on the bottoms.
Horse pills look strangely like little tubs of grease (lubriplate, same as in squeeze tube). (Old and separating, ok to stir it up and use it?)  Did they issue those little tubs of grease?

Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2016 at 8:46pm
Hi guys posting a few more detail pics showing trigger stamp and some odd markings elsewhere.  More pics coming. Bolt tool ordered and should be here in a day or two.  Feel free to jump in and comment since there are still a lot of gaps in my knowledge about the M1A1 Carbine.  If you right click and open the images in a new tab or window you get the full resolution.

Trigger stamp shows a strong H, the I is lightly struck and you can only see the top of it.

What is this strange stamp on the top of the barrel at the back?

What is the stamp on the other side of the trigger and those weird characters like the strange R?  Also is that a number 1 under the Inland logo?  btw the Inland logo was double stamped or I'm going crosseyed.  Do you guys see that?

Shiny obvious wear to the hammer.  Is it within normal expectations?

Trigger is stamped RI, may be my imagination but I think there is a - at front and back and maybe between the letters.
(Admin note, think he is looking for sear mark)

Thanks for the assist.  Almost ready to tackle the data sheet.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2016 at 8:45pm
The mark on the trigger housing lug bottom is an R, sometimes reported as serif like yours. It is thought to be some kind of lot or inspector stamp. The marking on earlier barrels were roughly a sequential number (1,2,3, etc.). then changed to sequential letters (A, B, C, etc..).

The barrel flat has the Inland "Heiroglyphics" as shown here:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/barrels.html

Check the gas piton and the rear of the gas cylinder for markings.

Source: CCNL 346 (Inland First Block Review).
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2016 at 12:59pm
Hammer is HI as you point out it has a faint I
Mark on the top of barrel might be an off struck 8. Barrels with dates of 5-43 to 6-43 were often seen with the 8. your barrel of 4-43 is right there. later there were other numbers or letters consistently.
you might also find a punch mark near same location.

in your range you may also find a flaming bomb on side or barrel near breech.

yep, inland log double struck. I played with picture and do not find a 1 under it. looks more like a stray mark. would need better picture to see.

sear is RI with serif on I. there may be periods after the letters but cannot tell from pics. your serial is close to the marks with or without periods. If this is an original gun better pics could help nail down the range. If you reduce picture size to upload, try cropping before resizing to maintain quality. Many had the rough finish and do not think there are other intentional marks.

the hammer marks appear normal. do not forget the bolt slides over it to re cock it. Look at bolt and it should have wear marks to coincide.

If I missed any of your questions please do not hesitate to ask.
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2016 at 11:43pm
All ok here?

Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2016 at 12:18am
One more.
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2016 at 5:47pm
Bolt tool made it easy.  If I have missed anything sing out.  Thanks.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2016 at 9:30pm
Looks good. One of the things that helps in doing data sheets is paying attention to the fonts.
Case in point the trigger had several RI marks. Some with periods, some with serif I.
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2016 at 11:27pm

Looks good. One of the things that helps in doing data sheets is paying attention to the fonts.
Case in point the trigger had several RI marks. Some with periods, some with serif I.

Thanks!  I went back and looked at the lettering.  Some did have serif letters so I added that to the fields.

Data sheet is all done.  Filling it out meant examining areas I didn't think to look at before so it was a real learning experience.  Took a bunch of closeup pics today of parts as depicted on the Data Sheet in case I ever need them.

Btw that is a type 3 extractor right?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2016 at 12:14am
Ahh, see this is why the cabine club news letters excell for the hevily inficted with carbine-itis.
CCNL 346 by Chris Albright opens with why its important to notice the exact font and puncuation. The article opens with this and there are 5 variations of of WI extractors reported! However in reality there are only 3 markings. Reportings with serifs are believed to be eronious.
Typer 1,2,3 have been reported with W-I. Yours would have to be a type 3 due to missing dash.
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2016 at 7:24pm

Ahh, see this is why the cabine club news letters excell for the hevily inficted with carbine-itis.
CCNL 346 by Chris Albright opens with why its important to notice the exact font and puncuation. The article opens with this and there are 5 variations of of WI extractors reported! However in reality there are only 3 markings. Reportings with serifs are believed to be eronious.
Typer 1,2,3 have been reported with W-I. Yours would have to be a type 3 due to missing dash.

Just got the 346 today.  

During the inspection I found another odd marking that I am not sure is a stamp in the bottom of the trigger housing.  Not supposed to be anything there from what I read.  What do you think it is?  Machining mark?
Could not get a better picture of it and closer examination with a magnifier shows no flames or other marks outside the circle except a little nub on the upper right.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2016 at 12:11am
346-18 LAST PARAGRAPH. Last sentence.
Many hieroglyphics reported on inside of trigger housing
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2016 at 11:25pm
Last of the pics taken for the Data Sheet.  Thanks everyone for the input.
 Post Reply Post Reply