Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SG operating slide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SG operating slide
    Posted: Jan 11 2019 at 4:20pm
I recently came across this Type III, SG marked operating slide that has a shape that I am not familiar with.

From what I can tell it seems to be showing original milling and factory finish.

Has anyone else seen this before?
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2019 at 5:50pm
If it’s factory, could have been shaved to correct an overweight. I wonder what it weighs vs. a correct-looking slide? It does look like it left the factory that way, or at least all of it has aged in the same manner.

I have a 9mm IJ with a modified GI slide, but weight was added to it as opposed to being removed. Maybe this was from an early caliber-conversion of some sort?
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2019 at 8:44pm
To me it looks like a machining mistake... Putting my machinist hat on, the production step that would have made the curved edges would have been a horizontal milling machine with two radius milling cutters mounted on the arbor (one for either side). One pass thru the machine, possibly with multiple parts lined up on the table, and then on to the next production step and machine. Looks like the part wasn't fully seated in the parts jig (metal chip under one end when clamped down), which caused the milling cutter to take more material out of the that end. The flat and sharp edge on either side would have been the outer extent of the radius milling cutter that ordinarily wouldn't have made contact with the part.

Functionally, I think the corner radius is there to allow it to easily fit and slide within the stock recess. As the mistake is cosmetic, and as long as the part was within weight spec, why not use the part? Especially during wartime production.
 Post Reply Post Reply